Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation rule to create new ticket

Prakriti Arora April 3, 2023

Hello,

Can I please get a suggestion on what automation rule can be set up to create new tickets if comment is added to a closed ticket?

The initial issue is that when a customer sends email to create a new ticket, it lands up as a comment to a closed ticket so, the I was thinking of the above solution to mitigate this issue since I have tried everything else.

Thanks,

Prakriti

2 answers

1 vote
Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2023

Hi @Prakriti Arora , 

If you're really looking for an automation approach then something like this should work: 

Capture.PNG

I would personally look into @Paul Wiggers answer as workflows are more robust in my opinion. Both should work though so its up to you. 

All the best, 

Ash

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering if this would copy the whole thread from parent ticket?

Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 3, 2023

As in the comment thread?

I’m not near a computer to test it but I don’t think so. You can however clone the issue instead of creating another one and create an issue link, might be what you’re looking for?

KR,

Ash

0 votes
Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 3, 2023

There is no need for an automation, you just need to lock the issue for comments and edits. 

You can do this in the workflow. 

• Edit the workflow
  • Select the Closed status
  • Select properties
  • Make sure the properties are set to:Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 21-19-53 View Workflow Step Properties - Closed - Jira.png

When a customer replies on a closed issue, it will automatically create a new issue.

One thing to keep in mind, when a customer replies with an e-mail address that is not part of the conversation (not a request participant), the comment will still be added. However, this comment wouldn't trigger any automations as well but can cause lost comments.

Is this what you are looking for?

Hello Paul, I did as you suggested last week but adding the above the workflow didn't really help. The emails are still landing as comments to closed tickets so, that is why I thought of creating an automation rule.

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 3, 2023

That is strange, this should work. I have it set up this way in my company's instance and comments to closed tickets, will create a new ticket.

Just a few questions, some might sound straightforward

• Have you published the modified workflow?
  • Can you share a screenshot of the status properties?
  • Can you share a screenshot with a comment being added to a closed issue?
  • Can you share the history tab of the closed issues that is being commented on?
Prakriti Arora April 4, 2023

Hey Paul, you suspected right. I had not published the draft workflow. Done now. Hope this fixes the issue. Many thanks for your help.

Hey Paul, so the changes I made this morning led some other issues :

So, sometimes our customers need to reply back to the closed tickets in case the issue isn't resolved so, in that case, they are not able to do so. Is there any other resolution that you could suggest to fix the issue?

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

Sure thing. One thing that you can do is create another status before Closed. We choose two (Answer Provided and Resolved).

You can then use SLA's to trigger automations to notify the customer and transition the issue to the next status.

So what happens is: An agent provides an answer an transitions the issue to Answer provided, after a few days, the customer receives a notification that we haven't heard back and that the issue will be transferred to Resolved. The customer can react on both the Answer Provided and Resolved status which will transition the issue back to "Waiting for agent". If the customer doesn't reply, the issue is eventually transitioned to Closed.

This allows you to resolve issues (both Answer Provided and Resolved are resolving statuses) but also gives the customer time to reply on an issue when it turns out it isn't resolved. After giving the customer plenty time and notifications about what is about to happen, you then transition to Closed and lock the issue.

So, in short:

• Create additional statuses
  • Create SLA's that start when entering a status
  • Create an automation that triggers on SLA breached 

Is that something you can work with?

Can we do some changes in the incoming mail handler's config? Below is what we have right now:

image.pngimage.pngimage.png

Paul Wiggers
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 4, 2023

I have no experience with that marketplace app and cannot help you with that.

If you want to solve it through that app, I would suggest contacting the creators to see if they can help you out.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events