cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation rule for Issue Category field

Kelvin Tan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 11, 2022

I am trying to setup an automation rule based on the Issue Category field. 

When I used the "Issue fields condition", the Category field is not selectable as it says Field no found.

Can I use the Advanced compare condition? E.g. I want to check if Category field is equal to value "ABC". How should I do it?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2022

@Kelvin Tan -

Thanks for your update.  As you already know that "Category" field you are referring is associated with Jira Work Management projects -

For this special field (in automation) usage, you cannot use it in "Issue fields condition" for condition testing.  However here is how you can used in the "Compare two value" condition -

1. To reference the field - syntax is {{issue.Category.value}} to obtain the value of the field.  (see my test example below)

2022-08-12_0-40-42.png

I utilize the log action to test out my rule on the smartvalue usage always, it will ensure that I am getting the right field values from the smartvalue references. 

Here are a few links on how to debug your rules that I use all the time - 

Hope this helps

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
alevy
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 1, 2023

I was trying to create a similar automation as Kelvin Tan for a change of category. Using  {{issue.Category.value}} did not work for me. I found a workaround using {{fieldChange.toString}}. Worked exactly as needed.

Capture.PNG

0 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2022

@Kelvin Tan -

Welcome to the community.  The out of the box "Category" field is related to project category and not for issues.  Are you referring to "Work Category" for Request Types?

Can you clarify your ask with more information?, so we can assist further.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Kelvin Tan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 11, 2022

I am referring to the Category field at the right hand side. This is not the Project Category field.

Untitled.png

This Category field is used by the List.

Untitled1.png

Like Elizabeth Jones likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events