Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation for adding requested participant based on the reporting user

Alex S December 9, 2022

Hi all,

I would like to create an automation that adds the individual that opened the incident to be added as a requested participant into the ticket.

I found this article, but I have very little familiarity with JQL so I am not sure how I can amend the value provided to reflect what I need. 

How to add/update Request Participants using Automation for Jira | Jira | Atlassian Documentation

I assume I need to use this JSON:

{"update": {
  "Request participants": [
   {
    "add": {"id":"<accountId>"}
   }
  ]
 }
}

And replace the section within the "add" line with {{reporter.displayname}} somehow, but not entirely sure.

Any assistance would be great. Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2022

@Alex S -

Hi Alex:

By default, users who created the issue doesn't need added to request participants since he/she is the issue reporter in JSM.  Can you provide why you want to the reporter to the requested participants for the same ticket?

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Alex S December 9, 2022

Yes, the users will get notified but they won't see all the details of the ticket unless they are a participant. There was an ask from leadership to have more transparency and visibility on certain ticket types so the requestor can monitor progress beyond email notification.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 11, 2022

That is unfortunately a misconception, @Alex S. A request participant does not have any additional permissions in comparison to the reporter. All this is for, is to add a backup person for the ticket to follow and participate in comments.

If a user needs to see the full details of a ticket (i.e. all the internal information of a ticket, not just the information provided on creation and the comments that are exchanged afterwards), your users should have a proper Jira license and access your tickets internally, not from the customer portal. 

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 11, 2022

As long as it is ticket progress that you are referring to, tickets have a customer facing status, which represents the stage in the ticket workflow as you want it to be seen by customers. However, that is the status the reporter can see as well from the my requests page in the customer portal. So no need/use to add the reporter as a request participant there either. That would be - as @Joseph Chung Yin mentioned - entirely redundant.

Alex S December 19, 2022

Ah gotcha, well secondly the reason for this is because we have automations setup to create tickets in another project spurned off the initial request. And the only way I can think to link the individual to the new ticket is by automating that the individual will be a requested participant on the new one. Let me lay it out.
1. User creates ticket in project #1.

2. User is auto-added as participant.

3. Ticket is automatically created in project #2.

4. Automation also adds the user to the second ticket in project #2 as a participant.

The automation to add the user as a participant in project #2 states that it will copy the participants from the triggering issue (ticket in project #1). I couldnt think of another way to ensure the user knows and can track the second ticket thats created.

This is all kind of convoluted, but we need to ensure the user that created the ticket in our project is aware of and able to track the second ticket thats automatically created in the other project.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2022

@Alex S -

Thanks for your update.  For your automation in issue creation in project #2, you can simply refer to the issue reporter of project #1 and use the reporter information when you populate the "requested participant" or "watcher" for the project #2 issue.  You should not have to do anything with the issue in project #1 (i.e. adding the reporter also as the participant of the same issue).

Best, Joseph

Alex S December 19, 2022

OK I poked around, I see I can set the reporter on the automated ticket for project #2. I set to copy from triggered issue which I am assuming is the ticket in project #1.

Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 19, 2022

@Alex S -

Excellent.  If my suggestion helped you, please click on Accept answer when you have a chance.

Best, Joseph

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events