Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation across products JSM -> JIRA

Julien Béchade September 30, 2022

Hi,

I was wondering what kind of plans should we subscribe to to be able to use global automation across projects between JSM and JIRA? Is it enough to be on the Premium plan in JSM?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers.

Julien.

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2022

Hi @Julien Béchade - It depends upon how many rule executions per day that you're planning to set in motion.  With standard, you can do cross-project automation, but it's only intended for light activity.  Automation is also heavily impacted by the number of users:

Premium users have 1000 global and multi-project rule executions per paid user per month. Ex: 200 users in Jira Cloud Premium will have 200,000 monthly global/multi-project rule executions per month. This is pooled across all Jira tools and all users. Enterprise users have access to unlimited automation executions.

You can bump up licensing to premium, but determining whether you're upgrading JSM, JS (or both) licensing would depend upon number of users.

Other factors to consider:

1. Cost - JSM Premium is more than double the cost of JS Premium
  2. Features - Premium licensing on JSM vs JS include additional features. Most notably:
    1. JSM - Insight
    2. JS - Advanced Roadmaps

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your answer @Mark Segall

The cost is definitively something we'll consider based on the number of agents or/and licensed users for JS.

But what we seek to achieve requires global rules on multiple projects across both JS and JSM and that level of automation is off limit on the standard plan.

That's why I was wondering if we would need premium plan on JIRA or JSM or both.

Cheers.

Julien

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2022

The community can keep me honest, but to my knowledge there is no such limitation for global automation rules in Standard other than the number of executions (I create cross-product automations all the time with my free instance).  When creating these rules, be sure to do so from Settings >> Global Automations or this link:

https://YOURINSTANCE.atlassian.net/jira/settings/automation

My bad! I was getting an error every time I published a global rule and reading this , I assumed global and multi-projects rules where only from premium. You might want to update that support page.

It turns out the account used as an actor was not an agent on the JSM project involved in the rule and that's why I was getting that error 🙄

Thanks for your help!

Like Mark Segall likes this
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2022

Good call out on the link.  I'll pass it along to the Atlassian team.  The most important thing to keep an eye on in a Standard environment is the number of executions.  They're quite limited and Automation tends to catch on quickly once users see what's possible so it's very possible that you'll hit the limitation quickly and be forced to upgrade to Premium at some point.

Like Julien Béchade likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events