cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Time Tracking

Richard Branch
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 23, 2023

I am new to Jira so I am still learning.

I have taken over a project where users log completed tasks through a portal. They log the times they start and stop each task. I have a piece of automation that calculates the time taken and this is displayed in the description in hours and minutes.

Is there a way to automate this so it is added to time tracking?

2023-11-23_13-45-13.png

1 answer

1 vote
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 23, 2023

Hi @Richard Branch 

This is possible! This should work (I've not included the Trigger/Conditions as I assume you have those from the other rule):

• Action: Create Variable
    • Name = dateDiff
    • Smart Value = {{issue.customfield_123.diff(issue.customfield_10456).minutes}}
  • Action: Log Work
    • Time Spent = dateDiff
    • Date Started = {{issue.Work Start}}

---

A few notes on this rule:

• For the Variable, I've used the Custom Field IDs - 123 represents Work Start, 456 represents Work End
  • I've set the Variable to minutes, as this is the default time unit in my instance - and it makes the Log Work action simpler. If your default time unit is different, I suggest setting it to whatever it is (eg. hours, seconds, etc)

---

Let us know if this works for you!

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders