Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automation Rule: creating a ticket in project A + B, updating request type in B

Miriam Hopton June 2, 2021

Hello all!

Need help with a specific issue I'm trying to solve using automation rules between two projects.

I have created an automation rule for when a specific issue type is created in Project A,  it creates a new issue in Project B.  Both projects have different issue types as they handle different ticket types.  The rule links both issues so it is easy to reference and adding a comment for paper trail.

automation in Project A _creating Project B ticket.png

My issue is: I would like to edit the issue that is created from the rule (created for Project B) but I do not know how to auto-set the Request type for the Project B newly created issue/ticket using the automation rules.

When I select to add a component to "edit" the issue type within the automation rule, it triggers an error: "Sorry, but changing the Customer Request Type is currently not possible, since Jira Service Management does not provide an API for this."

Is it possible to create a new ticket using automation and set a specific Request Type in Project B? Hopefully that all makes sense and I'm happy to elaborate more. Thank you everyone!!!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ioana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2021

Hi Miriam,

While setting the Request Type is not possible on the Create Issue action, you can use the Create a Request action and select the target request type instead of issue type.

test.PNG

I think what you reported might be available in the future. It seems that is related to the feature request described here that is under Future Consideration: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-1835

Regards,

Ioana

Miriam Hopton June 3, 2021

thank you Loana for the detailed help and screenshot! I tried to setup the automation rule with the exact setup >> created a new ticket and the rule failed. I noticed it did not create a ticket in the other project and the error message I am not sure about. Do you know how to define the ID/key?

It also failed due to a date field that had an error. :(

Audit Log_HR and SD.png

Ioana
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2021

Hi Miriam,

The ticket/request creation failed because you have 2 mandatory fields on the request type:

1. Attachment
  2. Employee Start Date

The second error related to linking issues is normal. Because the ticket was not created in the second project, the rule couldn't find a ticket id/key to use to link it to the trigger issue. So, since no "recently created issue" exists (as it was not created), no ID exists and the linking fails.

Now, in order for your automation to work you will have to remove the validation of the Attachment field and make it optional on the request type in the second project. Unfortunately it is not possible to set the Attachment field during creation of a request from the automation rule.

As for the Employee Start Date you can set it on the same action that is creating the request in the second project. You can either select a certain value or copy it over from another date field from the trigger issue. 

Capture.PNG

Miriam Hopton June 4, 2021

hi Loana! Thank you so much and I sincerely appreciate your help! I made an adjustment to the required fields of the Start Date and the Attachment. 

Is there a way to link the tickets so they are easy to link back? - I would like to link the ticket created from Project A and B if possible. Or maybe create a separate rule to link so its doesn't conflict. 

Thank YOU!!! 

Ioana
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 7, 2021

Hi Miriam,

After the create service request action, you have to add the action to link issue to the most recently created issue. So your trigger issue (project a) is linked to the newly created ticket (project b).

Did you encounter any issues with this?

Regards,

Ioana

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders