Automation: Field values identical to same field value in another issue

Johannes Nyberg July 6, 2022

Hello Atlassian! 

I´m trying to setup a process to handle all of our faulty Hardware with our Jira-Service-Desk. This require our customer to answer questions such as: 

- Serial Number of the product

- Error description

- Any troubleshooting done?

What I would like to do is to setup up an automation that monitors if an issue is created, it will check if that specific serial number already has been reported as faulty. 

Would be enough to send an email saying that this piece of HW has already been faulty. 

All the best, 
Johannes Nyberg

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2022

Hi @Johannes Nyberg

yes, you can achieve something like this with Automation.

I thought of an automation like this:

• When: Issue Created
  • Then: Lookup issues
    • You can specify a JQL then to look for the issues, you're interested in. If you're value is stored in the custom field 11127, you could use a JQL like this:
      cf[11127] ~ {{issue.customfield_11127}} and key != {{issue.key}}
  • And: Add comment to issue
    • In the comment, you can use {{lookupIssues}} in order to include your result.
      You could probably modify that with an if condition that the comment is only written if there actually are some issues.

For more details, I'd recommend to check out the docs about smart values or the lookupIssues function.

I hope that helps,
Matthias.

Johannes Nyberg July 7, 2022

Awesome! Tested and it works. Thank you Matthias and have a good day. 

Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this

As you mentioned it is possible to add an if-statement to make sure that the comment is only done when the list is not equal to empty. 

Capture.PNG

Like Matthias Gaiser _K15t_ likes this
Marc Isikoff November 14, 2022

We have Jira server working in our firm's cloud environment; does this solution still work?

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2022

Hi @Johannes Nyberg ,

So let me get this straight:

1. the user will enter the serial number when creating the ticket
  2. The ticket will be raised, even if the serial number already exists
  3. There will be an automatic email send out to the customer about "Getting the request"
  4. There will be a second email notifying the customer that this serial number already exists and has reported as faulty.

Are the above correct? If yes, then I would say that this can be done, but I strongly disagree about sending a second email to the user. I would either auto-comment his/her request and automatically move this issue to Done, or just auto-comment and wait from the customer's reply.

With that said, this can be done by Jira Automation and lookupissues of within the workflow. Do you have any apps installed on your instance?

Alex 

Thanks for your quick reply Alex. 

1. Yes, it is mandatory for the ticket to be raised.

2. Yes, the ticket will always be raised independently of it has been faulty or not before.

3. The purpose is to notify us internally saying that this item has already been repaired. 

So the process will be same regardless of if the HW has been repaired earlier or not. The purpose is only to give us a heads-up with this information.

Johannes

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events