Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically notify customers for issues opened outside working hours

Chris Murphy December 9, 2020

Hey folks, I'm looking for a way to configure automatic email notifications for customers when they open tickets outside of normal working hours. 

I've already set up an SLA Calendar that sets the work hours to our Service Desk hours (8am to 6pm M-F), but I can't make much progress beyond that.

I've tried looking up similar questions from other posters, but most threads aren't much help.

Any ideas would be great. I'd be happy with a plugin that does this as well providing it's not super expensive.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2020

Hi @Chris Murphy ,

there is JQL function withinCalendarHours(), which I believe could help you.

Maybe you could create automation rule like - when issue is created and Issue matches: "Your SLA" != withinCalendarHours() , then send email to customers involved.

I didn't tested it, but it seems to me it could work.

Chris Murphy December 14, 2020

Thanks for the help!
I've tried setting it up as suggested, but doesn't seem to be working properly. However I may not have set it up correctly. Would you be able to correct me as to if I've done this correctly?

Steps taken:

1. Create a working hours calendar for our business hours
  2. Create an SLA titled "WorkHours" with the working hours calendar
    1. Start field is "Issue Created"
    2. Stop field is "Entered Status: Resolved"
  3. Project Settings > Project Automation
  4. Create a new rule with these details:
    1. Run when Issue Created
    2. If issue matches JQL "WorkHours" != withinCalendarHours()
    3. Then: Send email to reported

The rule seems to run, but no action is ever performed. The test calendar hours don't include Monday as a working day, so that's not the issue. I've attached a screenshot of the rule's audit log.

Capture.PNG

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2020

Hi @Chris Murphy ,

I will check it using my own instance. I'm right you are on server and have Automation for Jira installed on you instance? Which version of Jira Service Desk and AfJ do you have? Thank you!

Chris Murphy January 7, 2021

I'm sorry! I thought I responded to this but I must have gotten busy and missed then, the Christmas vacation. Sincere apologies.

My Automation for Jira version is the latest (v. 7.2.4) , and my Service Desk version is 4.10.0.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2021

Hi @Chris Murphy ,

it's ok :-) I've just tested it using AfJ 7.2.4 and JSD 4.8.0.

When I insert some concrete user email into the automation rule, it is working. 

But when I'm sending email to the reporter, it is not working and I can see in the log, that issue did not match the condition.

This is really strange, because the recipient of the mail shouldn't affect the JQL condition.

I will try to find some other solution and get back to you ASAP.

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2021

Hi @Chris Murphy ,

I was able to make it work, but using the original automation functionality. now the new one (it seems to me there's some kind of bug).

automation.png

The configuration is almost the same. Instead of sending mail I used "Add comment" action, which creates public comment (and based on the public comment the mail to customer is send - "Public comment added" customer notification must be enabled).

Please try.

Chris Murphy January 11, 2021

Still seem to be having some issues unfortunately, after recreating the setup with your suggestions,, the rule simply no longer Executes.

I'll post exact steps once again to verify I've attempted to set this up correctly, as well as screenshots of the SLA rule and the result log:
1. Create a calendar with our working hours titled "Working Hours"

2. Create an SLA titled "Working Hours" with the conditions set to Start on "Issue Created" and to stop when the issue enters "Resolved" status

calendar.PNG

3. Create an automation rule for:
When: Issue Created
If: Issue matches: "Working Hours" != withinCalendarHours()
Then: Add Comment

log.PNG

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 11, 2021

Hi @Chris Murphy ,

please try to add some target to your SLA like - All remaining issues - 2h - Avalon Calendar...

Chris Murphy January 12, 2021

Awesome, that worked, thanks a bunch! Rule is now functioning properly :) Much appreciated!

Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 12, 2021

Hi @Chris Murphy ,

great, I'm really happy it worked for you.

Natasha Richardson August 31, 2023

@Hana Kučerová I'm having this exact same issue. I have my SLA calendars created and my SLA conditions set and then I have a custom legacy automation set with the condition 'time to acknowledge' != withincalendarhours yet when I run it says condition not met and thus moves to send the other email in the if/else condition. Like you suggested here to set a target for All remaining issues and I have that set already. I'm wondering why that worked for @Chris Murphy 

ROUSSEAU Corentin November 2, 2023

any updates?

ROUSSEAU Corentin February 1, 2024

UP

Jakub Koc March 7, 2024

@ROUSSEAU Corentin the solution above didn't work entirerly for me either, instead I found this https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management/Automation-for-Out-of-Hours/qaq-p/2333663 which helped me somehow but in the end I created something similiar to the above.

Trigger: Issue created
If/else with Issue related condition and the rest states as below.
The required condition at the bottom you have to set to "Are present".
Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 09.21.12.png

Hope that helps

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events