Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic status transition rule not working

Jessie Daniel Manansala May 17, 2022

So here's our setup in our company, project called "Support" is created under JSM so users can report bug tickets and another project called "Zen" under Jira software for our tech team to manage tickets linked to the Support tickets.

I've created an automation rule in Support where if it was transitioned to "Closed" status then all other tickets linked to it will be closed as well and this is working fine.

I tried the same logic for "Zen" where if any Zen tickets where closed then transition the Support tickets to "Awaiting user confirmation" however it is not working and returning this error message in the audit log.

"Destination status could not be resolved. If using a smart-value ensure this resolves to a numeric status ID or untranslated name for issues (with current status):"

Please see attached file labeled as "Support" as it is the one working and the other one "Zen" where it has the same logic but doesn't work and returning the above error message.

Support.jpgZen.jpg

Hoping for the community's help on this one. Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

@Jessie Daniel Manansala 

Can you see if all the flows of the issuetypes of the "Support" project have transitions released for the status "Awaiting user confirmation"?

The error you receive indicates that Jira was unable to identify a path (transition) going from some statuses to the "Awaiting User Confirmation" status.

A suggestion would be to add an "All" transition to this status, but you need to confirm that the issuetypes associated with the flows of the "Support" project have this status and that any other statuses within these flows have at least one transition that can transition to the "Support" status. Awaiting User Confirmation".

Jessie Daniel Manansala May 17, 2022

Hello @Fernando Eugênio da Silva

I experienced a weird behavior on the automation result.

I followed your advice by adding "All" transition to "Awaiting User Confirmation" status and then it worked. After I closed the ticket on Zen, the ticket on Support transitioned successfully to "Awaiting User Confirmation". Please see updated flow screenshot for reference.

Updated flow.jpg

Now, what I don't understand is the difference of this flow to my previous as I am only testing my previous flow in "Under Investigation" status which has a direct connection to "Awaiting User Confirmation". Please see screenshot of my previous flow below. Initial flow.jpg

I am sure that it was not working before but now even if I used the previous flow, it is transitioning automatically from "Under Investigation" to "Awaiting User Confirmation" using the workflow above.

This issue is resolved now however I just want to understand why it was not working before? Does adding "All" transition triggered something hence even if I use the old flow, it is working fine already? Haha.

Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2022

hahahaha

The error can happen as follows:

You don't have a transition that goes from the "Pending External Information" status to the "Awaiting User Confirmation" status, so when your automation is executed, Jira will not be able to move the issues because those that are in "Pending External Information" will not will identify a transition path to destination status.

Looking at your old flow, without the transition (all) your transition automation would only work for issues that are in "Under Investigation" status because it's the only status that has a transition to the desired target status.

Using the "All" transition allows that, regardless of the issue status in your stream, Jira will identify a path to transition them when automation is added.

If it is working now, pay attention to these details that there is always a transition that serves as a path to the destination status.

I would recommend that you keep the flow that has the "All" transition and add in that transition a "Hide transition to user" condition.

So this "All" transition would only be triggered by the automation feature and you wouldn't see two transitions that let you go to the "Awaiting User Confirmation" status.

Best Regards,
Fernando

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events