Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automated ticket follow up within business hours

JP Woodbridge October 15, 2021

I have multiple "prompt customer for comment" automation tasks setup so that a customer is prompted to reply if the ticket is in a 'waiting on customer' state for 3,6 & 9 days, before a final task cancels the ticket.

How can I set these up to ensure that they only run within business hours predefined in the SLA calendar hours?

I know I can setup a new SLA and resolve the ticket on breach of that SLA, however this does not help with sending reminders to users to respond to their ticket. 

Can this be done with JQL, even if business hours are set manually within each JQL statement?

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2021

Hi @JP Woodbridge an welcome to the Community,

I would assume that you have set up your SLA in such a way that your SLA timer gets paused when a ticket enters the Waiting for Customer status. So you can best uses history search in JQL to trigger your automation.

On top of that, we have sometimes introduced a custom field to track if we have already sent a reminder. In this case, as you plan to send 3 reminders, you could use a field that counts the number of reminders.

With that in mind, you could do something like this to trigger the rule for the first time:

Status = "Waiting for Customer" AND Status CHANGED TO "Waiting for Customer" BEFORE StartOfDay(-3d) AND "Reminders Sent" IS EMPTY

(Reminders Sent would be the custom field I mentioned above)

As you run the rule, do send out the notification, but also update the value of the custom field to 1, 2, ...

For your second reminder, you could then use:

Status = "Waiting for Customer" AND Status CHANGED TO "Waiting for Customer" BEFORE StartOfDay(-6d) AND "Reminders Sent" = 1

On a side note and as an alternative, you could also use a different approach and just automatically close the ticket earlier on. As long as you still leave the possibility for the customer to reopen, that approach may reduce complexity.

Hope this helps!

JP Woodbridge October 17, 2021

Hi @Walter Buggenhout 

This is brilliant and will work perfectly, thank you!

I'll add another automation so that when a customer does reply and status is changed back to Waiting for Support, the Reminders Sent value will reset to 0

Leonard Krygsman March 21, 2022

This is fantastic and I'd like to use it as well.

My only question is: does this take business days into account? Looking at the JQL reference guide, it looks like the startofday() function might be calendar days, not necessarily business days.

Is it business days?

Thank you!

allen.gaudinier April 11, 2022

@JP Woodbridge 

Do you mind sharing exactly what you did to get this setup?

I'd love to replicate this for our environment.

Thanks!

JP Woodbridge April 11, 2022

Hi @allen.gaudinier 

I'd love to share exactly what I did, but our Jira has been down over a week... In the end i went with something slightly different as business days were never taken into account and it was becoming very messy with multiple SLAs for every ticket.

Essentially I created a field called 'user notification stage' (UNS) with a default setting of 0. I then had multiple automation rules triggered for a 3 day time frame:

- Rule 1: If in "waiting on customer" status, no update for 3 days and UNS = 0, send email to user, set UNS to 1

- Rule 2: If in "waiting on customer" status, no update for 3 days and UNS = 1, send email to user, set UNS to 2

- Rule 3: If in "waiting on customer" status, no update for 3 days and UNS = 2, send email to user, set UNS to 3

- Rule 4: If in "waiting on customer" status, no update for 3 days and UNS = 3, send email to user, set UNS to 0 and cancel ticket.

I call it the "Jira Solution" - It's far from perfect but it works. 

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events