Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autofill fields when issue is linked

Andile Luvuno August 6, 2022

Hi All.

I have 2 projects which have the same fields.

I want to autofill a few fields when I link one issue to the other.

How would I go about achieving that with Automation?

Your assistance would be highly appreciated.  

2 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2022

@Andile Luvuno -

In addition to what @Ivan Lima mentioned, you can also just use the "Issue Linked" trigger setup, then Edit Issue actions for your fields.  In the Edit issue action, make sure your want to select copy from the trigger issue.

The trigger event "Issue linked" - Rule executes when an issue is linked to another issue. {{issue}} will always refer to the source issue, so if ISSUE-A is blocked by ISSUE-B, this rule will execute on ISSUE-B. To access ISSUE-A, use {{destinationIssue}}, and to access the link type, use {{linkType}} (e.g. {{linkType}}

2022-08-07_19-15-23.png

Test it out and it should work...

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 6, 2022

Hi @Andile Luvuno, using Automation for Jira, one possible way you can implement this would be:

• When: Issue linked
  • For Destination issue (Branch rule / related issues)
  • Then: Edit issue fields

The rule will execute when you link an issue to another. The rule above assumes you want to edit the destination. For example, if A blocks B, you will be editing B. In this case, you can copy values from the trigger issue or implement additional logic to autofill B.

Andile Luvuno August 8, 2022

Thank you

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events