Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto-signup customers when they send emails

Anand Dandikar May 13, 2021

Hi All,

I am aware about the public sign-up option available within Jira Service Management that allows customers to visit the portal and sign-up with email verification or direct sign-up without email verification. I have 2 questions as follows-

1) Is it possible to elimilate sign-up process and auto sign-up customers simply when they send emails into the Service Desk configured email account?

2) If auto sign-up via email as above is possible, can such customers email ID become reporter to receive customer notifications?

Greately appreciate your response.

Thanks,

Anand

2 answers

0 votes
Anand Dandikar May 19, 2021

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for looking into the issue. My bad, I missed on mentioning we are on Jira Service Management Server and our customers will not even login to the customer portal. We have thousands of customers from across the country with varied background and the portal may not be best suited, however we want to track requests that we get from them via email so Jira Service Management will thi\us be used more for internal tracking of customer requests. We do not intend to involve customers in any way with Jira.

Now that out of the way let me explain the issue with screenshots from our configurations.

We have "Service desk customer - portal access" against Create Issue permission as in attached image-1.png.

image-1.png

The Service Desk project has customer permissions as in attached image-2.png, allowing 'Anyone can email the service desk or raise a request in the portal'.

image-2.png

Attached image-3.png are our global public signup options.

image-3.png

For processing incoming emails, we are using "Email This Issue" mail handler as in image-4.png with a mandatory default reporter.

image-4.png

My understanding from these configurations is that when a new customer sends and email, he will be registered with the email address, and also become reporter on the ticket that gets created vial mail-in configurations and receive a notification on ticket created event.

What actuallly happens though is a ticket gets created with the default reporter and not the email sender, and thus the customer never receives 'issue created' notification.

It would be great to hear from you or anyone else who faced similar situation and could resolve it.

Thanks,

Anand

Richard Vass July 14, 2023

Hi Anand, did you find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem where customers are not being created from email requests. thanks

0 votes
Stephen Sifers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2021

Hello Anand!

Great question(s)! I'll try to answer both of them on a single pass;

If you've configured JSM with the login-free portal and have elected "Anyone can email the service project or raise a request in the portal" within your configuration then, YES! Customers will have an account created for them upon emailing your service desk. They'll be sent an email with login information to finish creating their account, but they don't have to complete this step (Those customers won't be able to utilize the customer portal to view their issues).

Additionally, if you know who your customers are before they contact you (perhaps you have a list from an old system or CRM), you can create an account for said customers before they contact you for support. More on this can be found at How to add customers without sending an invitation email.

Other source information we would suggest reviewing:

I hope this information proves helpful!

Regards,
Stephen Sifers

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events