Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assigning ticket to user group

Hema Kalbagilmath June 1, 2021

Hi ,

I have created user groups and assigned few users to user group. But I am unable to assign a ticket to user group.

My intention is to have groups like L1 ,L2 and L3 groups. If I assign ticket to that group . That ticket should be visible for all users of that group.

Please let me know if it is possible and how to do this.

Thank you.

Hema

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

@Hema Kalbagilmath -

To the best of my knowledge that issue can only be assigned to an actual account (user account), and issue assign to a group is not possible in Jira/JSM.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 1, 2021

Correct zero issues are meant to be assigned to a single user or to a user account not to a group

Like Hema Kalbagilmath likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2021

In JSM, you should usually be using queues to represent "people who should pick up the next issue".  For non service desk stuff, you tend to use boards to represent things a team needs to pick up.  You should never assign an issue to a group or team directly, the assignee should always be the one single person who should be dealing with it, never, never, never more than one person.

Hema Kalbagilmath June 1, 2021

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the reply.

I did not understand  "you should usually be using queues to represent "people who should pick up the next issue"".

Are you saying create queue for new issues ? or is there any other way  to create queue to represent "people should pick up next issue"

Please clarify.

Thank you.

Hema

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2021

For what it’s worth, what I do for one of my teams is to create a triage queue. It is represented by any new unassigned ticket. My team understands that that queue must remain at zero. The entire team is responsible for reviewing that incoming issue Q triaging them and taking ownership to ensure someone is addressing the issue. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 1, 2021

I mean literally what I said.  The point of a service management project is that you have a stream of requests coming in, and a load of people picking up the requests and dealing with them.  

Your team should be picking up requests based on what is the next most important.  So you set up a queue to show them what is coming in, and they should pick up the next one when they finish the one they are dealing with.

You can create many queues if you want, but the whole point of a queue is it shows the list of incoming issues so that "people can pick up the next issue"

Hema Kalbagilmath June 2, 2021

Hi Nic,

Thanks. It helps.

Thanks

Hema

0 votes
Harold Prestage September 27, 2021

Hi Hema

Create a group picker custom field called assignment groups, make it visible to all projects 

Once done, it should be plain sailing from here

Let me know how it goes

Regards

Harold

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events