Assign users in automation using a single rule with if/else statement and JQL

Trevor Overstreet May 9, 2023

Current configuration: an epic is created and based on the ticket type a sub-task / different issue type is created under the epic.

I want automation to assign a user to the sub-task based on specified JQL. Currently I'm creating scheduled rules to check against the JQL and assign user BUT we have 20+ users who could be assigned which means 20 rules to be created / maintained.

Can I achieve this using only one rule to maintain? Thinking using the below logic but it's not currently working:

WHEN issue is created -> IF: matches specified JQL THEN assign user xyz

ELSE-IF: matches specified JQL THEN assign user ABC

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 9.11.55 AM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

Hello @Trevor Overstreet 

In what way is the rule not working?

Is the rule getting triggered at all?

What does the Audit Log for the rule execution show?

Trevor Overstreet May 9, 2023

Hey Trudy and thank you for the response! The rule errored on the parent task and not working (or running) on the subtask so I just created basically the same rule but the trigger is now Scheduled vs. of Issue Created. This works but the rule runs every 15mins vs. whenever a new subtask is added

Unless I'm missing a condition that will run the rule when the subtask is created?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2023

So the subtask is created by one rule, and in another rule you want to automate setting the Assignee. Is that correct?

If so, take a look at the Rule Details for the rule where you want to set the subtask Assignee. Make sure this box is checked:

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 1.33.01 PM.png

Trevor Overstreet May 10, 2023

Looks like that did the trick! Thank you so much

Like Trudy Claspill likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS