Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assign on first comment

Adam Linger May 12, 2021

I am utilizing the Automation feature to auto assign an issue to an admin one first comment.  That portion is working great, however I am attempting to add a validator that ONLY assigns on the first comment from an admin and that's where I'm hung up. 

I assume I will have to add a condition using the "Advanced Compare Condition" but spinning my wheels trying to figure out the proper "Smart value" to utilize.

Current structure of the automation tree: When issue is commented -> Compare two values (stuck here looking for proper smart value) -> Initiator is in: Administrators -> Then: Assign the issue to user who triggered event.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance!Auto assign.PNG

3 answers

1 vote
Ashish Agarwal February 23, 2022

Use new condition to trigger the rule only when the issue is unassigned. So when new comments are added it doesn't keep changing the assignee.Annotation 2022-02-23 115750.png

0 votes
Brian Riccio May 16, 2021

I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading.

0 votes
Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

Hi, @Adam Linger welcome to the Community!

Can you clarify which part isn't working? The Initiator is In condition is the one that will make sure it only runs on a comment if the commenter is in the Administrators group. 

Adam Linger May 12, 2021

Thanks for reaching out Esther,

currently the way it's set up it is assigning on comments, however it's assigning on EVERY comment.  So if one Admin comments on the case it assigns to them, then another admin comments it re-assigns to the second admin.

I'm hoping I can first get the trigger to validate that the comment it's triggering off of is the first comment, and any subsequent comments it doesn't trigger and re-assign. 

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2021

Ah, OK. Thanks for clarifying. There are a couple of ways you might be able to manage this. The first would be to set a field or label when it's assigned the first time, and use the existence/value of the field/label as a condition.

The other option, which would be invisible to users, is to set an entity property on the ticket, which could then be used in your comparison. Check out this previous answer, which details how to do it.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events