cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asset and Service Management functionality

Jamie Bell
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 16, 2024

I'm trying to catalogue our services and the brevity of properties you can define against a Service type leads me to think I'd be wasting my time defining them here. Yes, I can create dependencies, link them to other services so I can view which teams have association etc, but my main goal is essentially to create a catalogue and have some more immediate information readily available than the 'Services' section of Operations currently provides.

Currently Service types are limited to, software service, business service, application, or a capability.

"Services can include things like payment platforms, servers, teams of people (for example, a legal team), websites, products, or application stacks."

Immediately I'd quite like to add additional Service types and maybe an address/url field so I can better filter my services. It doesn't look like I can customise the properties of a service, and it doesn't look like I can add additional columns to the Services overview?

I've got an external help desk right now so most of the IT service management project is wasted. I may have considered migrating over if the Asset and Service Management functionality was broader, but it seems that this solution is still in its infancy.

How have others used Atlassian products to create an asset/service catalogue? I'd like to have associated or linked the services I'm creating to a broader document, but short of adding a url to the description field this doesn't look native? Should I be using GitHub for that?

1 comment

Eli Devlin February 5, 2024

Hi Jamie, 

I share a lot of your opinions on the Services aspect of Assets. It's extremely hard to tell how it's intended to be used correctly. 

It's frustrating because the Services schema enables a lot of great features, like exposing related issues when viewing other issues, in-line on the page (no custom fields or automation required). But there's no customisation. On the other hand, the wider Assets module offers you complete and utter customisation, but it can't integrate with the features that make the Services schema so powerful. 

It's baffling honestly. 

Like karel_mellen likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events