Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to have two possible transitions configured for the Approve action?

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2021

We have a user that wants the same workflow to have a state configured for approval that then conditionally goes to either one state or another upon the user clicking the "Approve" button.

He wants the "Approve" transition to go to either state X or state Y depending on the value of a custom field.

As far as I can see, the transition configured for "Approve" is required to be just one transition, not conditionally one transition or a different transition.

Please advise if this is possible, even if it means using an automation rule or some other trick that is outside of the workflow itself.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2021

JMWE 7.0.0.1 has new event driven workflow - you can transition a workflow, for example, based on another transition, a comment to an issue, a change in field value, etc.

I tested it, it works, and doesn't have the limitations of "Automation Lite for Jira"

2 votes
Carlos Faddul
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2021

@Ken Wood  you can create a second status to approval then use the automation to auto approve in this status.

But all approvals only have Two options (approve/reject) then you can create you workflow basead in this options or in custom fields with conditions (to dodge of approval status)

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2021

I tried using "Automation Lite for Jira" and the problem is, 

"Please note that rules triggered by 'Issue created' or 'Issue transitioned' and containing a 'Transition action' cannot be executed immediately. This is due to limitations with Jira's workflow engine. See JRASERVER-40597 for more details."

So that means the rule fires in the background and so in the browser the user sees the issue in the waiting for approval state instead of the state it was auto-transitioned to.

There is an action to re-fresh, but it says "This action does not reload the issue in the browser for end-users."

So I don't see this as a solution, at least using Automation Life for Jira.

1 vote
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 29, 2021

Correct, the approval can only have one transition each for approve/reject. You could use Automation or any of the other automation apps in the marketplace to achieve this with the conditional status, just add status Y in the workflow and then move to it after the request has been approved and the custom field has the right value.

Ken Wood
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2021

Friday I tried using "Automation Lite for Jira" and the problem is, 

"Please note that rules triggered by 'Issue created' or 'Issue transitioned' and containing a 'Transition action' cannot be executed immediately. This is due to limitations with Jira's workflow engine. See JRASERVER-40597 for more details."

The rule fires in the background and so in the browser the user sees the issue in the waiting for approval state instead of the state it was auto-transitioned to.

There is an action to re-fresh, but it says "This action does not reload the issue in the browser for end-users."

I don't see this as a solution, at least using Automation Life for Jira.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events