Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An email from an external Customer did not create a JIRA ticket. How should we troubleshoot it?

tyamaguchi November 24, 2022

Hello, I have a following case I need to advise how to troubleshoot.

• An external Customer person sent an email to <my company's address that is set  up for Email Request for months>, but it did not create a ticket as expected
    • It was November 21, 4:30PM Japan time
    • It was the first time for this person to address an inquiry to this email address, if that matters
  • 3 days later the same person emailed again asking for a status update by forwarding his original email, which then created a ticket
  • Log history of the email request does not show any sign the original was received (and logged & created a ticket) on Nov 21th

In my experience with other Customers who inquired to us for the first time, there was usually no issue and it would have created a ticket.

Please advise how to proceed with troubleshooting. 

2 answers

1 vote
Rilwan Ahmed
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2022

Hi @tyamaguchi ,

Go to your project settings --> Email Request. Click on View logs. This will show the emails which was received by the account and if the email is processed or not. 

image.png

If the email is not listed here, then it seems the email did not reach the destination. 

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2022

@Rilwan Ahmed there is a chance that this email was bounced by Atlassian. In that case the email will not show on their logs, but Atlassian will know.

Like Rilwan Ahmed likes this
tyamaguchi November 27, 2022

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ @Rilwan Ahmed 

I had checked View Log prior to my post. There is no log on Nov 21 afternoon related to the lost email.

Question: Is there any restriction with the email attachment our customer can send? e.g.

- File extension (Zip only etc)

- File name (not accepting certain Japanese characters, for example) 

My hypothesis is that the original email was blocked before creating a JIRA ticket because of an attachment.

0 votes
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2022

Hi @tyamaguchi 

If you are using a built in email from your JSM project, then I would suggest to contact Atlassian and to confirm that such email your received/bounced/not received at all etc.

Prior of doing this, cross check with the "forwarded" email that the email address your customer wrote is correct.

Perform a JQL search to your instance with the email subject. Someone could have move the issue and not be visible on your project (you never know).

tyamaguchi November 27, 2022

hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ 

1. We are not using a built-in email but OurSupport@OurCompany.jp. This is the address our customer emails to.

2. Yes - I had cross-checked the address used by the customer originally and they are identical (OurSupport@OurCompany.jp)

3. I am going to get this performed. 

I'll also reply to your comment in the thread with Rilwan.

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2022

@tyamaguchi in that case your it and/or your email provider can see if this email is received. DO you have access on this email account to check if this email is in any folder?

tyamaguchi November 28, 2022

@Alex Koxaras _Relational_ Yes I have access and checked (a few times) but don't find the original email in question. Not in trash either.

Community Leader
Community Leader
November 28, 2022

@tyamaguchi concerning your question:

Question: Is there any restriction with the email attachment our customer can send? e.g.

- File extension (Zip only etc)

- File name (not accepting certain Japanese characters, for example) 

My hypothesis is that the original email was blocked before creating a JIRA ticket because of an attachment.

Attachments have a limitation set by a jira admin. Go to cog wheel > system > attachments. Check that and let us know.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events