Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allowing customer to reopen an issue from Closed or Resolved?

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 4, 2019

Hi all.

I'm trying to figure out a "best approach" for allowing customers to reopen a ticket.

Currently, I have setup automation in the following way:

1. If "waiting for customer" 5 day - email notification

2. If still in "waiting for customer" after 3 days (total 8 days) - Set to "Resolve" and email customer.

3. If still no response after 5 days, set from "Resolved" to "Closed" and send email.

4. Re-open an issue if status = "Resolved" and comment is public.

While the issue is in Resolved status if the customer replies it will transition it to "Waiting for Support".

BUT, I do think that if an issue is occurring again and it's due to the same root cause, having the customer replying to a closed issue, should open it.

So now I'm not 100% sure if I should still provide the ability to re-open a resolved issue, as well as re-open a closed issue.

Can someone please share their thoughts or workflow?

1 answer

0 votes
Vasi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2019

Hey Gil,

Sharing some thoughts based on our experience in Atlassian Support :)

I would say that this is the right approach to let customers re-open the case even if it still resolved or closed.
Mainly, because you wouldn't want to have an experience when your customers are trying to get in contact with you (whether it is the same issue or something unrelated), and there is no response.

You can always create a separate ticket later for unrelated issue, but the most important is that customer's request is addressed and their response is not missing.

So just sharing my thoughts, hope it helps :)

Regards,
Vasily

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2019

Hi @Vasi 

Thanks for your reply.

I've given it more thought and it became appearant that sometimes when you close a ticket then a customer replies with a 'thank you' it reopens it and then you have to close it.

While I do agree with your statement (and again, thank you for sharing), I decided to continue with the following:

Knowing that customers can still reply to a 'closed' ticket, I will leave the decision to the support agent to manually re-open the ticket or create a new one, based on 'root-cause analysis'.

As long as the customer can comment on a closed ticket, I'd rather leave this decision to the support.

What I need to care about is how to notify support that there's a comment on a closed ticket.

Like Jeffrey Shank likes this
Vasi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2019

Hey @Gil ,

Will your ticket be re-opened once comment is added?
If yes, I would assume that it appears in Support Agent's queue and can be acted after?

Otherwise, I can suggest to add an automation rule that would be triggered when status is changed (or comment is added) and add condition with matching JQL aka "Issue matches".
In JQL you could use "status was in" operator and/or "status changed from".

This automation could send out a notification to a specific person, or any other way you prefer.

Let me know if that's what you are after.

Regards,
Vasily

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 6, 2019

Hi @Vasi 

Thanks again.

The closed ticket won't be reopened automatically. Only Resolved ticket will.

So for the notification part, it seems that when I created automation, I used webhook to a slack channel, nothing happens, no notification in slack.

So I need to see what other ways I can get push notification.

I don't trust jira notification because people easily miss jira emails and jira notifications within the jira system.

However, people are much more attentive to slack notifications, but the webhook is not working, it doesn't post anything.

Vasi
Atlassian Team
March 7, 2019

Gil,

I got your point :) 

Slack notifications seems to be a good approach in this case indeed. I can see that you created a separate post about webhooks:
https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/JSD-webhook-doesn-t-work-when-posting-to-slack/qaq-p/1026645#U1027048

I will try to help you out in that post then.

Cheers,
Vasily

Like Gil likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events