Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSD webhook doesn't work when posting to slack

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2019

Hi all,

I'm trying to get automation to post to slack channel or a person. The automation trigger, conditions and action pass, but nothing is arriving to Slack.

I know how to setup webhook integrations with slack. All of them are working.

But for some reason, it doesn't work with JSD.

For example: If comment is public and issue status is Closed, then POST webhook.

I then provide the channel webhook URL and trigger the rule, but nothing happens in slack.

Can someone assist?

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2019

Hey Gil,

I tried everything to make that slack notification/webhook work in JSD.  I finally gave up.  Atlassian blames Slack, slack blames Atlassian.  Please post here if you get any resolution, maybe with a partnership you will get a better answer.

In the meantime, I used the app (Automation for Jira) and it creates beautiful slack notifications, easily and with a lot of granularity and detail.

Hope that helps

Susan

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2019

hi @Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_ thanks for sharing your experience.

It's funny. I thought Atlassian and Slack have good partnership, since there's a built-in slack integration within Jira. It's very basic, but it exists and it works well.

It seems that the JSD project with Slack integration is a bit half-baked solution.

I use Automation for Jira as well and it does solve most of the issues.

Gil

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2019

Hi Gil,

At the time that the JSD automation and webhook functionality was put in place, Atlassian and Slack were not partners, anything but. 

So I was getting no cooperation from either side on this problem.  Hoping that will start to change.

Cheers,

Susan

2 votes
Michael Carolin June 25, 2019

We also dealt with this issue. Slack webhooks require a certain payload JSON key-value set in the body. JSD automation in Cloud does not allow you to modify this body. Instead, JSD will send a body containing the data of the issue associated with the automation rule. You cannot modify this body. Consequently, Slack will return a 400 HTTP error code and a message that says "Invalid_Payload," since Slack requires the payload to include a "text" key and value at minimum. Jira will not show you these error messages, but if you try the webhook in a tool like Postman or with Curl in a terminal, you will see them.

Strangely, Jira Server does let you modify this body, but not cloud.

We are entertaining the Automation for Jira plugin to solve this, or using a service like Zapier to adapt the webhooks together.

Cat W August 7, 2019

@Michael Carolin thank you!  We're on Server but we're still on JSD 3.11 which does not have the option to modify the payload, and this finally gave me a solid clue as to why we're having an issue with these with Slack webhooks from JSD automation.  We have many in Automation for Jira that work perfectly, it's just one set in JSD that was set up by the project admin and I can just move that to A4J with the rest.

Thanks again!

Like # people like this
1 vote
Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2019

@Vasi  thank again for your continued efforts in assisting with my questions.

I will contact Slack. Tomorrow I'll have a read about their level of support on incoming webhooks.

Vasi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2019

@Gil perfect!

I can also see that you submitted a ticket to Support about it as well :)

We will try to get to the bottom of this!

Cheers,
Vasily

Like Gil likes this
Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 7, 2019

Thank you! :)

It doesn't end there.

I found another bug:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-7993

Your support agent raised it on my behalf.

See my comment there as well :)

1 vote
Vasi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2019

Hey Gil,

I did a bit of a research and suspect the following:

I am sure you can check that webhook is working fine and it is triggered.
What I suspect is, based on some previous cases, that webhook that you generate from Slack is a generic one that accepts requests only in a certain format, based on this:
https://api.slack.com/incoming-webhooks

To clarify that, you might want to get in touch with Slack support.
I am yet to check it a bit more in details and try to test it, however just giving you a thought.

Cheers,
Vasily

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2019

Hi Vasily,

I think Gil and I are really hoping that Atlassian can work with Slack to resolve this problem now that there is a partnership agreement.

Susan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events