Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Tickets Viewer permission

Zsolt Tölgyesi May 16, 2023

I am trying to configure a Full Viewer role in JSM. Unlike the Helpdesk Agents, the idea is that these users should be able to browse all tickets (including Open and Closed cases) without getting notifications or access to managing tickets. Ideally, this assignment should not consume a license.

I have looked at a few documented options, but the settings described seem to be deprecated.

Please help me figure out what my options are.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2023

Hi @Zsolt Tölgyesi and welcome to the community!

You have a couple options:

Grant Backend Access

This is if they already use Jira in some capacity.  JSM licensing will not be required, but this approach will require some level of Jira product access to view issues.  It involves adding a new "View Only" role to your project's permission scheme. 

1. Creating a View Only role in System >> Project Roles or here:
    1. https://INSTANCE.atlassian.net/secure/project/ViewProjectRoles.jspa
  2. Navigate to your project settings >> Summary >> Permission Scheme and grant the new View Only role Browse Projects permission

3. Navigate to project settings >> People and add the desired users/groups to the View Only role

Outcome - They'll be able to view all issues for that project without any further overhead and perform JQL functions (e.g. query, dashboards) against the data.

Portal-based visibility

I don't recommend this approach because it's simply clunky.  However, it's an option...  Create automation so that on issue creation, the desired user(s) are added as a participant.  

• TRIGGER: Issue Created
  • ACTION: Edit Issue (Request Participants)
    • Add the desired user(s)

Note - This would only address on a go-forward basis.  You'd need to bulk edit existing issues to add these users as participants

Outcome - This will allow them to view all requests when they click the "Requests" button at the top right of the portal, but there will be a few gotchas...

1. They will not have backend functionality so no ability to do custom reporting
  2. It's not foolproof... They can easily be removed as participant

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events