Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After removing Service Desk Agent permissions I can no longer access the customer portal

ekelareva2 April 12, 2023

I've recently removed Jira Service Management product access from my Jira account, as I no longer need to be able to respond to clients on Service Desk issues. However, this seems to have broken my ability to access the customer portal and forward issues to our support email, which I still need the ability to do.

When I go to xxxxxx.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal now, I get the error "You don't have permission to view this portal." When I send an email to our Service Desk email, it does not create an issue, whereas it's still working for other customers.

We have account creation for customers in our Service Desk settings set to "Anyone can create new accounts based on customer access and project level customer permissions settings. Learn more about project customer permissions." My account still shows up as a customer in our Jira Service Desk customer list. However it is not shown as active, which may be the cause of the problem. I presume it was shown as active prior to me being removed from the Service Desk Users group, because I was regularly creating issues on behalf of customers by forwarding customer emails.

I'm not sure how to reactivate my customer account - when I click through to the customer profile, there's no option that I can see to reactivate it. I tried re-inviting myself, but Jira Service Desk doesn't seem to be sending an invite since it sees that the account already exists. 

This issue seems to also be affecting two other team members who also have customer accounts that are not shown as active, and who are also unable to create tickets.

I've also lost the ability to view service desk project issues, despite our Project Access settings being set to "Open: Anyone with internal access to the Jira site can search for, view, and add notes on this service project's requests. Only people with product access to Jira Service Management can comment to customers." When I go to the service desk project now, I get the error "This project isn't available. It may have been deleted or your permissions may have changed."

Edit: some more details about the issue: when I view the list of portal customers via cog icon -> User management -> Jira Service Management, my account and the other affected accounts do not show up in the customer list, even though they're showing up in the customer list in the service desk project (https://xxxxxx.atlassian.net/jira/servicedesk/projects/xxx/customers) Other internal accounts that are not affected by this issue show up as "Active" in the service desk project customers list, and do show up in the list of portal customers. The list of portal customers doesn't allow me to add accounts directly, it just says "To create portal only customers, add them to the Customers list in a service management project." However, when I try to add the affected accounts in the service management project, invite emails don't get sent, since the accounts are already showing up there with a blank status.

2 answers

0 votes
ekelareva2 September 10, 2023

Following up on this - has anyone been able to find a solution to this issue? It's still happening for us, and seems to be affecting some clients too. We're thinking of switching to a different ticketing system at this point, since this is causing missed client requests.

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2023

@ekelareva2 Were you able to get this fixed?

ekelareva2 July 30, 2023

No, it's still happening. At the moment I'm using a workaround of using a different account, but it's not ideal having to switch accounts to use Jira Service Desk.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events