Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on best way to use sub-tasks for an onboarding workflow

Ed Hirst April 21, 2020

We're trying to automate our onboarding tasks using JSD.

Most tasks are dealt with by internal service desk agents. There are a handful of tasks that need to be performed by external (i.e. non IT) personnel; i.e. creating a physical building access badge, provisioning access to a system not controlled by IT.

These events need to be audited for request / response to / from the relevant person inside the business.

In our old Zendesk, we would simply copy everybody on the ticket and wait for them to respond. I was hoping to make this more streamlined in JSD but am struggling.

We have the sub-tasks being created, but obviously cannot assign without making people an Agent. Using up a license for somebody that needs to respond to a ticket once every few months seems like a waste.

I have considered adding them as a Watcher, or a Participant, but need the sub-task to send out a pre-formatted email request that the person can respond to and have that response logged against the sub-task.

I feel like the only way to do that is to add them as Assignee, which brings us back around to licensing up (and giving more access than necessary) to non-IT personnel.

Am I missing a workflow idea, or is this the only way? How are other people dealing with these scenarios ?

2 answers

0 votes
Ed Hirst April 23, 2020

Still struggling with this. I've tried creating sub-tasks and assigning our non-IT people as Participants to each task, in the hope that we could trigger Jira to send a mail with the description, or some other content.

That also seems not to work, as I can add a participant, but they don't get any mail from the sub-task, regardless of if we change the description, add an internal or customer-facing comment.

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2020

If they are using their own Project in Jira, you can use Automation rules to create an issue in their Project and link to the JSD issue. You can have the automation trigger based on a condition such as a filed set a particular way, etc.

Ed Hirst April 21, 2020

They’re not, we just want to alert them that there’s a specific thing they need to do, and have them respond once it’s done and have that response be logged against the ticket. 

Brandon Kofer April 25, 2023

I know this is an older post but this is exactly what I am trying to do. Any luck on how to notify external teams of a subtask that they have to action and at least allow the ability to have them comment on whether they took the required action?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events