Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advanced compare automation with links

Jarosław Kaczmarek June 13, 2022

Hi

Our customers can send a request to have their software updated by us. Each such process includes a manual collection of software fixes that are available for that particular customer.

Would the following be possible:

1. For each "Update or upgrade" issue that is being created
  2. Take the value of the Organisation or Company name (custom field)
  3. Look for issues containing that Organisation or Company name that are also in the status "Ready to be delivered"
  4. And Link these issues to the created "Update or upgrade" issue

This way agents will not need to go through dashboards or issue lists to manually link eligible issues.  The main issue for me is finding a proper method to compare issues and based on this comparison trigger the link action. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2022

@Jarosław Kaczmarek 

Yes, this is possible using automation's Lookup Issues feature.

In short, it will collect an existing Jira base and fill in a certain value.

The most practical and functional example in your case would be using Organizations, but it can work with customfield as well.

See the automation example you must follow to make this work.

Screenshot_28.png

Bring this for your scenario

Trigger: Issue created

Condition: Issuetype or Request type "Update or upgrade" in your case;

ACTION: lookup Issues > then insert JQL like: Organizations = XXXX AND status = XXXXX

Then after lookup issues you need add one more action "Link issue". And configure like this:

Screenshot_29.png

Choice the type from linked issues and in the next colummn insert the smartvalue {{lookupIssues}}.

This way Jira will hyperlink all the issues filled in within the lookup you applied in the previous action.

Hope this helps you.

If you have any questions, let me know

Jarosław Kaczmarek June 14, 2022

Hi @Fernando Eugênio da Silva 

Thanks for your help :) It works already but I added to the smart value the key component (i.e. {{lookupIssues.key}}.

Now, will it be possible to go by without specifying the Organization in the first place? We have like 60 different orgs that may want to have their software updated and creating 60 iterations of the same rule sounds crazy :D

Is there a built-in method that recognizes on its own the Organization of the issue reporter and then based on this runs the lookup? Sort of: get the value of Organizations and then lookup for that value

Fernando Eugênio da Silva
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 14, 2022

@Jarosław Kaczmarek 

Yeah, hahaha I thought about that too about you having too many organizations and it creates a problem with too many automations.

JQL feature doesn't allow to filter Organizations like this:
Organizations = currentUser()

It also doesn't allow identifying the value per user this way: Organizations in currentUser()

So I really believe that natively you'll need to create a lot of automation rules to make this work well without associating various items from other organizations and getting everything mixed up.

Like Jarosław Kaczmarek likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events