Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding description for portal group names

Zeeshan Ahmed Khan March 7, 2023

Hi, I have created my own portal groups and wanted to add some description for each of them. I have got three Portal Groups by the name of "An Enhancement Request", "A Service Request", and "An Incident". At the moment the user sees the request types names under the Portal group but I want to display a breif description of whats included under that Portal group. Refer to the screenshot.

Portal Groups.png

I want to have something like this:
• A Service request
This is considered a standard service and is part of the operational management and support service. For any general requests regarding enabling reports or dashboards, user access, calendar updates or financial changes to rate cards currency etc. Raise a service request

• An Enhancement Request
Do you need a new report, a dashboard or incorporate organisational structure changes or perhaps you require changes to lifecycle, roles, changes to grants or attributes. The enhancement request may require scoping and is often is not part of baseline services. Raise an enhancement request to have this addressed.

Is it possible to do that ?

2 answers

0 votes
Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 9, 2023

Hi @Zeeshan Ahmed Khan ,

As Valerie presented, adding descriptions to portal groups is impossible. You can try Refined for Jira app for service desk customization. But, honestly speaking, you take a sledgehammer to crack a nut 😉 

Another idea is adding an announcement banner with a description of every group.

Best regards,

Kate 

0 votes
Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2023

Hi @Zeeshan Ahmed Khan , thanks for your question. 

I was able to do something similar using 'Topics'

If, in your portal homepage, you click on the 'Customize' button -

image.png

There is a section called, 'Topics'. I don't know if it is new, but I haven't noticed it before. Here, you can create a topic for a request form that includes a description and highlights to the end users what the form should be used for-

image.png

I know it is not quite what you asked for, but without an app, I think this is as close as you can get.

image.png

Here is how it looks published. 

I hope this helps but if not, please give your feedback and either I or someone else will try to help.

Cheers

Zeeshan Ahmed Khan March 8, 2023

Thanks for that @Valerie Knapp . However, these topics (or descriptions) can be setup for the request types only and not for the Portal groups. The same thing can also be achieved by going into Project Settings --> Request Types and editing a description of all the custom request types that you have created. 

Description for Request Types.png

In your case, I think Event Requests is a Portal group. Do you think you can setup a description for that ?

Further, I was told that Atlassian has got a ticket raised for enabling this. Ability to change the description for "Portal Groups".

Let me know how you go about that.

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2023

Hi @Zeeshan Ahmed Khan , thanks for your message. Yes, the topics can only be set up for Request Types at this point. 

There are always apps to support this kind of customization but they are at a cost so I was trying to suggest a workaround out-of-the-box.

Like Zeeshan Ahmed Khan likes this
Zeeshan Ahmed Khan March 9, 2023

Do you know of any such apps ? I am happy to explore.

Valerie Knapp
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2023

Hi @Zeeshan Ahmed Khan , thanks for your message. I have used this one for a customer and it has lots of features to extend Jira Service Management - Extension for Jira Service Management | Atlassian Marketplace.

I'm not sure it will do what you want but, as you say, you can try it out and see what you think.

Cheers

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events