Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a transition screen for a field thats not part of the issue context?

Ben Weisman May 6, 2023

Hello,

I currently have a workflow and I want to add a transition screen where you select from a multi-select field. This field is only attached to a couple of issue types (contexts) but this workflow attaches to all issue types.

Does anyone know how JIRA will react?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2023

The field context applies to the issue as a whole.

You can hide a field in the field configs, and you can not put them on any screen, but the thing that matters is the field context.  If your field has the context, it's on the issue, no matter where it is visible.

I can not be sure of your set up, but it sounds like you have a simple case - put the field on your transition screen(s) and have a think about the create screen too, but leave it off "edit".

Ben Weisman May 6, 2023

Thanks for the reply Nic. Not sure your answer addresses my question. Let me try and explain it a bit better.

I have a workflow scheme. Within it, there is a single workflow for all issue types. I want to add a transition screen where a field pops up that you need to fill out. However, this field is only attached to contexts for a subset of the issue types that this workflow is attached to.

So, if the workflow tells JIRA to create that transition screen for an issue type whos context is not attached to the field within said screen, what happens?

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2023

You need to use two workflows, one with the screen used for the transition, and one without it.

You can then set the workflow scheme to use the two workflows differently for each issue type.

Or, you could just have one workflow, include the transition screen, and you'll find that the field is not shown on the transition screen when the field does not have context for that issue type.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events