Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Resolved Status to JSM Workflow or just Closed?

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2021

Hi, In my JSM workflow, after an incident is fixed, we move the status to the customer in order to acknowledge/accept the incident is fixed.

Technically: We move the ticket to "Awaiting Customer Approval" which has Approval (Accept/Reject) and we also set the Resolution to Done. If the Customer accepts, we just go ahead and move the ticket to Closed, otherwise, back to Pending Review. (see screenshot)

I was thinking that instead of the above (or in the screenshot), once a customer accepts, move to a status Resolved and after x days if no comment made by the customer, automatically move the incident to closed. As far as I am concerned, once we send to the customer to Awaiting Customer Approval, the incident is resolved. Meaning the team resolved it in production. Is this the right way? And should I set the resolution to Done at this time? We just want the customer to know we fixed it and for them to acknowledge it before fully closing the incident. 

My question is what is the best practice workflow for sending the fixed incident to the customer for approval, resolving and closing it?

By the way, the reason I am re-thinking this is because of SLAs. Time to resolve and time from Resolve to Closed.

thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 19.28.52.png

1 answer

2 votes
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2021

Hi @Meytal BM 

One of the use-case is to use Resolved and Closed sequentially. When agents resolve the issue, they move to Resolved status. Customer approve (to Closed) or reject (to In Progress) the issue. If there is no answer, closure SLA counts in Resolved status and automation moves the ticket to Closed when SLA remaining time breached.

If you set Resolution in Resolved status, customer gets satisfaction survey. On the other hand, if you do not set resolution, it is shown as unresolved ticket in Jira system. Of course it is possible to configure queue depending on your needs.

Putting Resolved status between Awaiting Customer Approval and Closed could be unnecessary. Because you already get the approval.

Also it is possible to add an automatic comment via automation when the ticket is resolved.

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 13, 2021

Tansu, thanks a lot for the quick response.

Let's see if I get this:
  1. 1When Agent finishes the work, moves ticket from In Progress to Awaiting Customer Approval with automatic comment to customer that the incident is fixed and need their approval. Agent should not set resolution yet. 
  2. 2The Awaiting Customer Approval should be a Green status (aka done) in the work flow. Which is basically saying the ticket is Resolved. And we need that for SLA right? 
  3. A: If Customer rejects, goes back to Pending Review
  4. B: If Customer approves or x days past since lack of customer response, ticket moves to Closed and Resolution is set to??
  5. I would also add a Canceled status for items that we decided to cancel and no do, rather than just move them to Closed. Wdyt?

Since I'm new to SLAs, just not sure where the impact lies. 
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 13, 2021

1- Actually, Awaiting Customer Approval status has a clear meaning that you expect an action from reporter. You don't have to add automatic comment.

Regarding "Approval", you can either configure an approval mechanism generally used for manager approval Or show close / re-open workflow action buttons to customer in portal.

2- SLA: You can create ex "Time to Close" SLA metric which starts in Awaiting Customer Approval status and ends in "Closed" status. Then add an automation that "When Time to Close SLA breaches, transition issue to Closed status". So tickets can be closed automatically if reporter doesn't reply within given time.

Additionally, It is also possible to send a reminder via automation.

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2021

hey @Tansu Akdeniz thanks a lot. Based on what you wrote, i made a workflow and SLA flow. Tell me what you think. (see flow chart)

FYI: I used Workflow action buttons instead of Add Approval (see jira screenshots)

And again, I truly appreciate the helpScreenshot (28).pngScreenshot (31).pngScreenshot (30).png

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 14, 2021

Also, should i add "Cancelled" status incase Agents decide to cancel a ticket when they are Pending Reviewing it? Kind of to reflect they have decided not to do it or it is not an issue. wdyt?

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 17, 2021

@Tansu Akdeniz hope didnt send too much info and overwhelm here :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events