Add users and agents to Approvers

Tom David January 1, 2023

Hello,

I'm trying to setup issue in JSD with approvals. there is plenty of docs, but I'm missing a crucial piece I can't find online.

How can I add users or agents to the approver group exactly?

we use the JSD mostly internally, so it is okay for me to Approve the ticket and proceed with the workflow.

Can anyone link me or explain how I go about adding myself/my agents/customers to the approver group so we can transition the ticket forward?

ScreenShot 376.png

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2023

Hi @Tom David 

I'd consider whether Automation is a good option here - depending on your scenario, you could setup an Automation Rule to auto-add the Approvers.

I'd also consider though if the approval step is "needed" though based on what you said above - you could replace/modify the workflow, and "remove" the approval step if better suited to your process :)

Ste

Thanks @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

I do not really need the Approval as it was designed. its more for me to have the option to sort and get reports of tickets pending approvals (I either call clients to get approval or approve directly to my staff) so you are correct about the second assumption. 

but I was thinking if I could simply add myself/agents to the approver group it will be simpler than setting up automation? 

I was able to find the Approver group under the main Jira Admin setting page, I added myself and couple agents, and granted Access to the product, however, I still don't see an option to Approve an issue or to change its transition. 

ScreenShot 378.png

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 1, 2023

Hi @Tom David 

The Group isn't necessarily a native feature - and it doesn't have any automatic feature which adds it to a Jira Service Management Project.

You still need to have a method to auto-populate the Approvers.

Options include...

1. Setting a default value for the appropriate field (Approvers, etc)
  2. Automation, as mentioned above
  3. Workflow Post-Function, to add Approvers prior to the "Waiting for Approval" status

Option 1 might be the best option if they're always the same. Assuming you're a Jira Admin, and this is a Company-managed Project, to do this...

1. Go to Settings > Issues
  2. Select Custom Fields from the left-hand menu
  3. Locate the field you use for Approvals (eg. Approvers, Approver Groups, etc)
  4. Click on the breadcrumbs icon in line with the field's name (3-dots icon on right-hand side)
  5. Select Contexts and default value
  6. On the next screen, select the hyperlink Edit Default Value
  7. Add the appropriate users/groups and save it

Note: If you are setting the default value for the standard context, remember this would apply to all Projects. If it's only for a single Project, or a selection of them, you'd be best to "Add a new context" to limit the default value's scope. That hyperlink is also on the screen you get to in Step (6).

Let us know if this works for you!

Ste

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_  thanks again.

I did that but still don't see the Approve/Decline option in the helpdesk or the portal.

do I need to add that as well somehow?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2023

Hi @Tom David 

I've tested this, and it works fine for me - the Approve/Decline buttons are visible on the customer portal.

Is it listing the default members as approvers on the portal now?

Ste

Tom David January 2, 2023

After reading your reply, I created a vanilla project that works fine there. I guess I broke something on this project I'm trying to apply it on. Trying to see now what the differences are. 

Thanks for testing and all the help @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ !

Appreciated. 

Tom David January 2, 2023

Finally got it to work on that project.

I had to create a new screen for it with Approver. I guess I need to review docs again to understand better the relationship between screens/schemas/and issue types. 

I would not have been able to figure it out without your help.

ScreenShot 386.png

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 2, 2023

Awesome, glad this is finally working for you!

Ste

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events