Add attachment to existing Change request ticket

paul_creedy December 29, 2022

When an agent or customer creates a ticket of change request type, they can add an attachment.  That attachment then shows up to the Agent viewing that ticket.

For some reason the ability for the agent to add an additional attachment to a change request seems to be missing for me.

I've checked the screens and permissions and as far as I can tell all is correct.

During creating of a NEW change request attachments can be added, but I can't add them whilst viewing or editing the change request.

I can't imagine why this would be by design because during the 'review' process it's quite feasible that the person reviewing the change request may want to add attachments related to the change request that the original requester would not have known about or had access to.

Is this by design or am I not seeing something?

If I go to the Issue Layout screen for the Change request there isn't an Attachment field I can move into the layout from the 'fields' area on the right.

If I then go to 'Make existing fields available', the attachment field is there in the list along with all the others.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2022

Hi @paul_creedy , an agent can add attachments to an existing issue in the following ways:

• via email by attaching to the email reply to reporter
  • via the issue view by drag-drop into comment
  • by clicking on the Attachment icon in the issue view

see if this article helps - attach-files-and-screenshots-to-issues 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2022

If I'm off target let me know.

paul_creedy January 3, 2023

Thanks Jack

I've discovered that making an internal comment and clicking the 'image' icon allows a file attachment not just an image.

Very annoyingly, I don't see an attachment icon on the actual change request issue type in either the main or side panel.  It's there for general tickets, but not for change requests strangely. It's like the behaviour is different somehow.

Using an internal comment and adding an attachment works so we'll use that.

Thanks for replying.

2 votes
Joseph Chung Yin
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 29, 2022

@paul_creedy -

I agreed with @Jack Brickey  suggested.  To supplement his response, I have also found that in JSM, one (agent) will need to click on the paperclip symbol associated in the comment section within the issue view

2022-12-29_9-25-10.png

This is there because the JSM functionality to expose the attachment (externally to customers or treated as internal only).  It would be great if Atlassian make it the same way for adding attachment to an issue the same between Jira Software project and JSM project.

Example - Jira Software project's issue view, there is an "Attach" button located at the top of the issue view screen 

2022-12-29_9-31-41.png

Hope this helps.

Best, Joseph Chung Yin

Jira/JSM Functional Lead, Global Infrastructure Applications Team

Viasat Inc.

paul_creedy January 3, 2023

Thanks, yes, there are inconsistencies between screens and projects which is a bit annoying when you aren't 100% familiar with the interface.

Best wishes

Paul

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events