Access to all requests through the portal

Paul Terry November 8, 2022

We have created separate projects for each of our clients and the contacts within those clients have been created as people. However, when these people access their project through the portal, how can I give them access to see all of the requests raised for their project, regardless of who has raised them?

"Raised by me" shows the requests which I have raised and "All" shows the ones which I have raised PLUS the ones which I have been added to as a contact. But, how can you grant access to see requests which I have not raised and which I am not a contact on?

Alternatively, is there anywhere where I can specify the names of people who should be contacts on all requests for a specific project?

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2022

Customers need to 'opt in' to be a Request Participant. If you turn on "Organization added" under project settings > customer notifications then every customer in the same organization as the reporter will get an email when any issue is created and the can opt in. You should also look at how you have Customer permissions configured to ensure it aligns with your goals.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 8, 2022

Hi @Paul Terry,

Even in a project for a single customer, you should add an organization to your project if you want to share all tickets created with every member of that customer. And then make sure to automatically share all created tickets with that organization.

For more details, see:

Hope this helps! 

Paul Terry November 8, 2022

Hello @Walter Buggenhout

Thank you for the quick response.

I'm guessing that an organization is just a group of contacts within the customer? It would not need to be all contacts who were added to each ticket, so would I need to create multiple orgnaizations within each project?

If my understanding is correct, how does the organization get added to the tickets when they are raised? 

Thanks, in advance.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 8, 2022

You'd have to create 1 organization for each group of people that belongs together. That means, should be allowed to see each other's tickets.

Once you set up organizations and people belong to an organization, they will be able to share the tickets they create with their organization.

It looks like this on the portal when you create a request:

Screenshot 2022-11-08 at 12.59.04.png

Home is an organization that I am part of and it gets selected by default.

Like Paul Terry likes this
Paul Terry November 25, 2022

@Walter Buggenhout - Thank you for your response. I have set this up now and it is exactly what I was looking for

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
Paul Terry December 8, 2022

@Walter Buggenhout Sorry, a follow up question.

To add the people in to the organization, they have to have access to JIRA Service Desk? They cannot just be created as people who have access to the project?

This then means that they have to have a JIRA licence?

Thank you in advance

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2022

No. Users are added to an Organization as a Customer. Customers do not need to have a license to Atlassian products. Note that in some cases, e.g. internal IT project, Customers do have Jira SW licenses.

Paul Terry December 9, 2022

@Jack Brickey Thank you. What is the difference between "people" and "customers"?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2022

If you are referring to the People screen under project settings it encompasses all people associated to the project which can include: Jira service desk team, administrators, and customers. It basically illustrates the users and their role. So Customers is one role within a project.

Paul Terry December 9, 2022

@Jack Brickey So, Customers are anyone who works at the customer / project regardless of whether they need access to JIRA and People are those who are admins, service desk users or service desk customers?

If someone new starts at the company and they need access to JIRA, should they be created under customer AND under people?

Sorry, this is confusing me.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 9, 2022

First let me say I have always found the presentation of customers confusing but it has gotten better. 

let me share the following with you in hope the official documentation helps - what-are-user-types-and-roles 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events