Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to a specific application based on a value in a custom field

Jonas Christensen October 27, 2020

What we want to achieve
Giving different Jira Service Desk customers access to issues and requests concerning a application or service.

Is it possible to give customers in a Jira Service Desk project access to a specific application based on a value in a custom field or a specific component value or similar?

1 answer

0 votes
Yevgen Lasman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2020

Can you elaborate "access to a specific application"? Which application do you mean here?

I'm thinking of a situation were you host/support several different applications or services (ERP system, website or an app) and you want "Customer A" to have access to "Application B" without creating an organization to use for access per application.

Yevgen Lasman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2020

It sounds like based on a field value you want to provide access to external apps? If such case you may need to have an automation in the Jira Cloud which will grant access for a user to the remote application. The remote application should support API for users management/enablement and in general it might be achieved. But I don't believe such users management model is either robust, secure or fail-safe.

Or maybe I just didn't get right the workflow you are pursuing here.

I might be explaining it wrong:

"The Company" is doing support for "System 1", "System 2" and "System 3". Customers/end user contact "The Company" when having questions/issues with one of the 3 mentioned system examples.

In Jira Service Desk, "The Company" have created a custom field of type Select list (single choice with "System name", where option for values are "System 1", "System 2" or "System 3". This field is used for tagging a ticket in JSD, describing which of the systems the customer/end user is submitting a ticket on.

Based on the value options in that custom filed, is it possible to give e.g. "Customer A" access to viewing only tickets tagged with "System 2"?

Like Yevgen Lasman likes this
Yevgen Lasman
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 27, 2020

Alright, now it is more clear. Unfortunately I do not believe it is possible (or I just don't know the way). If it would be simple Jira Software/Core project then you can try to utilize issue security levels. But it supports only group or user fields which implies manipulations with groups membership through automation, which is not safe users management model. Plus, in JSD you should also consider user's access based on the JSD project settings and organizations, which adds even more complexity.

But it would be helpful if you can update the initial question, so others will get the idea of what you are trying to achieve.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events