Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access form information in automation rules

Jonas Van Waes March 11, 2022

Dear Community

I have set up some service requests in my project, which use a Jira ITSM form to collect some information. Some have radiobuttons to select a choice.

My problem: how can I create subtasks in automation rules depending on the value of the radio-button in the form?

I have already set the "FieldKey" in the form, but I have no clue on how to access this field in the automation rule.

Kindly thank you in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2022

Hi @Jonas Van Waes and welcome to the community!

You need to link your form fields to a corresponding Jira field.  That way the selection is stored in a value that automation can pick up.

Hi @Mark Segall 

Thank you for your welcome and your anwser!

I have tried to link the form field to a corresponding Jira field, but all the options keep updating without the possibility to change them.

My radiobutton is "wired/wireless", but if I link to a radio-button Jira-field, the options get updated.

Is there something else I must configure first? 

Thanks !

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 11, 2022

You should be able to leverage that Jira field in your automation.  Do you have screenshots you can share for your automation rule? 

Dear @Mark Segall 

I can surely share the screenshots.

So in the first one (form), I have the options I want. If I link it to "change risk" (which I don't use in this project), it changes the options.

I just want to import the wired/wireless option into my automation. so I can create different subtasks if it is a wired or a wireless device.

Form.PNGForm2.PNG

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 11, 2022

So, in your Wired/Wireless settings it shows

Linked Jira Field: Do Not Link

This is the key to being able to have automation be able to work with the data.  This field needs to link to a Jira field.  That way when someone fills out the form, the data is stored in the Jira field.  That will allow automation to find it and work with it.

Unfortunately I only have the default Jira fields to work with. I am not a Jira admin so from the documentation it seems that it is not possible.

Thank you for your explanation. I'll try if I can get my site admin to provide me the field type I need.

Thank you very much :)

Miriam Hopton September 29, 2022

@Jonas Van Waes  curious on the solution you ended up with, as I have run into a similar situation. I have a form tied to a request type but want to have an automation rule set to one of the form attributes. 

I am trying to avoid creating a custom field, if all possible. 

Thank you in advance!

Jonas Van Waes September 30, 2022

Hi @Miriam Hopton 

The entire form is sent along when submitted from the portal. With "smart values", you can just pick up those values and put them in your automation rules.

In the example below, my automation rule triggers when an issue is created (from the portal, or otherwise). Then it checks the kind of service request that was created. If it matches a certain type, the rule continues. The third block adds a specific title to the ticket.

The forth block is the interesting one for you: getting the values.
In my form, ID = 4 is a radiobutton (yes/no).
If I have selected "yes", then the radiobutton gets value "1", if I selected "no", then it gets value "2".
More radiobuttons "yes/no/maybe", just increases the number: yes = 1, no = 2 and maybe = 3.

These values you can use then in your automation rules to perform certain actions or not. As you can see, I have nested these rules as well. I check two radio-buttons if the "yes" is selected. 
Just be attentive that nesting them can create a lot of options, but then you can use for-loops as well. 

To determine the IDs, you'll need a testing rule as well. I found this one to be the easiest: it just dumps the entire form as a text in a description field. You can turn off this rule after testing.

Testingrule.PNG

I hope this will help. If something is not clear, don't hesitate to leave a comment :)

Like Mitchell Niesar likes this
Jonas Van Waes September 30, 2022

It looks like my exaple was not sent with the previous comment. Here is is :)AutomationExample.PNG

Like Mitchell Niesar likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events