Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

APPROVER/ approver groups: unable to add user(s)

Alyssa Hill April 19, 2023

Hi there, we need to add an 'approver' or  'approver groups' to our workflow.

I first tried the group, but was unable to add any users to the group. Next I tried to add 'approver' singular (custom field), ensuring the request types have the correct field included with no progress.

In the singular example,  when I try to add a default user I'm greeted with an error: 

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 9.30.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 9.29.44 AM.png

As you can see, this user does exist:Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 9.29.54 AM.png

Strange enough, when I navigate back to the workflow the original 'approver' field I had selected no longer appears when I click to edit the approval step: 

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 9.34.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 9.35.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 9.35.06 AM.png

Now only the 'groups' options appears. What am I missing? Any help is greatly appreciated! 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2023

Hi @Alyssa Hill and welcome to the community,

First of all, and for the default approvers' field, start typing and see if the name of the user appears. If yes, then click it. If not, then see if you have the browse users and groups permission.

Concerning the drop down field for the approval step, if you start typing "approvers", is that field showing? Any results?

Alyssa Hill April 19, 2023

HI Alex!

I was able to have our main admin user add a default user with success, so that piece was in fact a permissions issue! Thanks for the callout.

I'm still blocked on the approval step as the 'approvers' field doesn't populate in the workflow when attempting to search:

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 3.44.16 PM.png

Any ideas what would cause that field to not show up? Do you think that could also be a permission issue? My assumption is no since I have the ability to edit that field and add to other areas of the project, ie) view custom field, add to request types, issues type 

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 3.39.36 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-04-19 at 3.38.49 PM.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 20, 2023

@Alyssa Hill 

The Approvers' field must have a global context:

Only fields with global context can be used as approver sources

Can you please check that the above is the case?

Alyssa Hill April 20, 2023

Hi Alex, thanks for your help. That's is indeed what I was missing.

I was confused by the UI as the main screen when clicking on contexts shows global (at the issue level, but not project level) , once I clicked to 'edit configuration' I was able to update. 

For those falling along... 

BEFORE: (invalid setup at project level) 

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 8.30.05 AM.png

After: 

Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 8.34.42 AM.png

Community Leader
Community Leader
April 20, 2023

Nice!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events