Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALL email requests AND API calls have Reporter as Anonymous

Eric Bergeron March 21, 2024

Our ITSM company-managed project is set to open tickets for anybody that writes to the configured email address. This has been working for a year.

Suddenly, however, all tickets opened are set with Reporter name being 'Anonymous'. Even emails from known Atlassian account email addresses. This has been happening for about 2-3 weeks straight. 

Settings have been verified, nothing has changed: 

JSM Customer access settings.png

JSM Customer Permissions (company-managed project).png

Email handler has not changed either. 

This behavior has appeared only 2 or 3 weeks ago. Sudden. 
Anybody has seen this issue before or has fix?

Thank you Community!
Eric

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2024

This is happening because you are using External account types, and in order for that to work the user has to first confirm their email address (they will get an initial email with instructions). Once that has been done they will be able to submit requests via email. If you disable the External account type and only use the Internal one users would be able to submit requests without having to sign up for an account first.

Eric Bergeron March 21, 2024

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Though my reaction is: Impossible, we've been running like this for about a year: external users / unknown users (unknown domains) write to our inbox and ticket is created automatically with their email address showing up in the Reporter field. But now it started showing as Anonymous. Funny thing is, going into Activities / All, the first line shows "externalClientName@ExternalDomain.com" has created a ticket.

Also, it does not make sens that my own email address (part of the service desk team) is not recognized. I too do not show up in the Reporter field. 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2024

If you go to you email log you will see that it says that the user is pending verification. The external account type has existed for a while, but recently users had to start verify their accounts before they can submit requests. This the reason I am not using External account types. The difference is that if you do not use external types, the user is created as a JSM portal user only, and if you use external then they get an Atlassian account instead and would show up under users when you go to admin.atlassian.com.

Eric Bergeron March 22, 2024

Looking at the processing logs of the email account, there is no 'pending verification's. 
I'd like to bring back to the spotlight that this issue affects all users, new or existing users. 

About External and Internal accounts: from my understanding, an Internal account is one that is part of the verified domain(s). External being any other domains. On our end, we don't have our domain verified. 

You mention something about a recent change, is that it? (in the sentence "but recently users had to start..."). If so, could you point out the change annoucement from Atlassian? This would be of use for me to better understand the change and possible impacts. 

Lastly, our external users show up in the Customers section of the project and are _not_ present in the Admin Directory section. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events