cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 level hierarchy - Parent Task -> Child Task -> Subtask

Marcus Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2023

I have a particular use case I haven't come across yet. The request is to essentially have 3 levels of task hierarchy. I need to have a parent task that has N number of subtasks. When I click into a subtask, I need to be able to add subtasks to that subtask. 

3 answers

2 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2023

Hi @Marcus Jones ,

There is no possible to do it in Jira. To have 3 levels, you have to use Epic > Story/Task > Sub-task.

Marcus Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2023

Thanks @Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_ , that is what I was afraid of. I think though, using those 3 levels I can make it work.

Like Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_ likes this
2 votes
Answer accepted
Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 6, 2023

Hi @Marcus Jones,

just to add to @Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_'s answer, the only way to model this would be through issue links, which can connect any issue to any other issue. Note, however, that Jira's doesn't really recognise an issue link as a parent-child relationship; you'll need extra tooling (like one of the hierarchy-focused apps from the Atlassian Marketplace) to show your issues in their full (issue-link-based) hierarchy.

Happy to elaborate more if that's a route you're interested in.

Marcus Jones
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 6, 2023

Thanks @Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira , I hadn't really thought of using a plug-in for this. I'll take a look, thanks!

0 votes
RVS_Support
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2023

Hi @Marcus Jones 

As suggested by everyone else, you can issue links to create your own hierarchy and an app would be required to view the same. If you are open for mktplace solution you can try our app. 

Issue Hierarchy Reports 

In the example below, we have created a story below a story. The app is free upto 10 users

Disclaimer : I am part of the team which developed this app

Links Hierarchy - Gadget.PNG

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events