We are updating the user interface for Assets in Jira Service Management Cloud

Hi everyone,

We are excited to announce that we’ll be updating the core user experience of Assets in Jira Service Management Cloud in the coming weeks. We’ve simplified the user interface and have updated it to match the rest of Jira Service Management. Specifically, you’ll soon see new versions of the Schema view and the Object view:

Schema view

Schema view.jpg

Object view

Object view.jpg

Here are some of the key changes:

Inline editing

Now you will be able to directly edit object data inline, just like in Jira. You can streamline your editing process, and see all available object attributes at a glance - even those with no data entered.

Inline editing.gif

Cross-schema search

The search capability in the Schema view can be used to find objects and object types across all schemas that you have access to, allowing you to quickly and easily traverse across various schemas to find what you’re looking for.

Cross-schema search.png

Date & time based on locale

With that new user experience, all Date and DateTime attributes will be formatted and offset according to the language and time zone configured in your Atlassian account settings.

Date time.jpg

Linked objects

The Linked Objects panel replaces the Inbound References panel to also display outbound references. You can use this panel to quickly and easily see upstream and downstream connections for the object you are viewing. When multiple references exist for an object type, you can now expand the object type lozenge to see which objects are connected.

Linked objects.png

Activity tab

When you are viewing an object, you can use the new Details and Activity tabs to easily switch between different kinds of information. The Activity view displays comments and history for an object, and includes a filter dropdown so you can customise what information you want to display.

Activity tab.png

Platform wins

As part of the implementation of this UI update, we’ve brought Jira Service Management Assets on to Atlassian's frontend platform. Moving forward, this will allow us to re-use platform pieces that weren’t previously available, so we can make updates and deliver new features to you faster and easier.

When will these changes happen?

We’ll begin rolling out the changes from the week commencing 27 March 2023. Because we are releasing this update incrementally, you might not see changes in your experience right away, but we’re expecting to have this update completely rolled out by May.

If you happen to have a very large amount of data contained in your multi-value attributes (such as object References and Select attributes), we will be more cautious when updating your experience. In certain cases, you may not notice changes in your experience until May.

56 comments

Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 27, 2023

Great @Caroline Bartle . Looking forward to trying the new UI.

Like Joe Miller likes this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2023

Looks nice! It would be great though if assets could be included in the standard plan as well, and to have less functionality.

Like # people like this
Pier-Olivier Tremblay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2023

Looking good! Nice job.

@Caroline Bartle - I see you've included the "jira-service-management" tag.  Does this mean this new view will be delivered in JSM DC at some point?

Caroline Bartle
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2023

@Larry Brock _Praecipio Consulting_ I have included that tag, but I'm afraid this update is just for cloud. I'll make some updates to the article to ensure that's more clear. Apologies for the confusion!

Eric Krueger _StrataCom_ Inc_ March 30, 2023

Will the JSM API (core Jira API) and Asset API be combined in this release?  Currently they are completely different endpoints with completely different security tied to them.

Like # people like this
Caroline Bartle
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2023

Hi @Eric Krueger _StrataCom_ Inc_ , I'm afraid that isn't part of this release. Could I ask for a bit more information as to why you'd like to see the two APIs combined? Are you blocked from performing a particular task with them being separate?

Eric Krueger _StrataCom_ Inc_ March 30, 2023

We have have developed a 3rd party product that uses Atlassians API for access to the data.  Because of the differences in the API’s, we have to do some technical summersaults to use both the Jira and Asset API’s in the same app.

Like # people like this
Hana Kučerová
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 31, 2023

Thank you, it looks great!

Valentina Belen Moreno April 4, 2023

It look great but I don't foud It very useful and friendly for users. Besides it's very slow and confusing.

Sue Lund
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2023

I've reported an issue with the timestamp being off when you export from Assets.  Apparently, UTC time is being used and that is very confusing for us as we work in so many different time zones.  What I see on the screen should be in my time zone and that should match what I export.
Atlassian doesn't seem to view this as a bug.
If anyone else is seeing this as an issue, please vote for the "enhancement" request that they've entered for me.
Assets objects export timestamps based on the user's timezone

Sue Lund
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 5, 2023

@Caroline Bartle we use the jira user field in our employee list and that field no longer links us to the Jira user.  That makes it hard to troubleshoot portal login issues as the first thing we need to do is check to make sure their Jira user account is active and setup correctly.  Is this something that is being fixed?

Caroline Bartle
Atlassian Team
April 5, 2023

Thank you for bringing this to my attention @Sue Lund. Yes, we will be fixing this. 

Like # people like this
Pablo Culebras _Jodocus_io_ April 6, 2023

Hello,

This UI revamp looks great. Will we also have the capability of creating reports with this release?

Best,
Pablo

Cosmo Denger April 13, 2023

We like the new UI but it needs some work.  Is there a way to default the views so we don't have to select the columns we want to show per object type?  Also, it would be good if it remembers the last view we used (list vs. details). The other added features are amazing!

Andrew Schaner April 13, 2023

This is great news. I've been using it since Insight was still a third-party app.

Still waiting for 1 killer feature: integrating into AWS to automatically scan the account's resources and create assets within Jira Assets. This would be a huge boon for compliance teams.

Like # people like this
Majken Longlade April 13, 2023

Search is seriously hobbled with this update. The search bar itself doesn't search against attributes on objects, only on the labels. Also As far as I can tell, there is no way to do advanced search across multiple object types. Our parent object types are set to abstract and the filter UX doesn't show up when we click on them because they're empty.

Like # people like this
Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 13, 2023

I've had this for about 2 weeks now and the performance improvement is 10/10. No longer do I add a filter and go do something else whilst I wait 5-10mins to load. It's so zippy and super helpful when I'm in the middle of a call and trying to find the users PC.

Definitely a few teething issues with getting used to the inline editing if you want to remove a selection and using the calendar, but slowly getting used to the right clicks required to do these actions.

Like # people like this
Caroline Bartle
Atlassian Team
April 13, 2023

@Majken Longlade we're working on the bug related to searching by attributes (https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-12509) so hopefully will have that resolved soon.

Can you please tell me a bit more about the problem you're encountering with not being able to search/filter against abstract object types?

Like # people like this
Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 13, 2023

@Caroline Bartle - any chance any of these updates will come to Assets for Data Center?

Had to ask.

Like # people like this
Michael Polke April 13, 2023

Nice, but: a backup functionality would be much more important! Backup is a basic must-have and still unbelievable that Assets does not have it

Like # people like this
Heikko E April 13, 2023

Thank you for the needed update. A small glitch - Reference depth in Object graph. seems to be not working at all. Whatever I choose the graph does not change.

Like # people like this
Richard Amery April 14, 2023

Looks much better.  You are still missing and archive functionality.  Also the view defaults to detailed view, you should allow the user to pick their own individual settings.

Hopefully the integration with JSM forms will be completed soon

Like # people like this
Richard Amery April 14, 2023

Loading 1 schema takes 10 seconds, no so zippy for me unfortuntely

Like Adam Gołaszewski likes this
Kerli Loopman April 14, 2023

Approved by our team! ✔️

I did notify everyone about the change. We have to get used to it as some things have changed their position but we will get used to it soon. It looks a lot more cleaner and more like jira. 

I totally love inline editing. 💕

Like James Dirks likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events