Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[UPDATED DATE] Upcoming change: Assets AQL function anyAttribute to be retired at end of March 2024

Hello Atlassian Community,

We want to share an important update about one of our Assets AQL functions - we’re deprecating the anyAttribute function and it will be retired on 31st March 2024.

Currently, the anyAttribute function allows a user to search for objects containing a given value without having to specify particular attributes. However, this function has presented more than a few challenges over time - it typically leads to to poor query performance and an unsatisfactory user experience.

Unfortunately, modifying this function to address the issue isn't a viable option. Therefore, after careful review and deliberation, we will be retiring the anyAttribute function.

What's next?

From 31st March 2024, the anyAttribute function will no longer be available in your AQL queries. This includes AQL queries in our user experience and REST API’s.

We acknowledge that this change may impact those of you who have integrated this function into your workflows, and we extend our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may present.

However, we're confident that removing anyAttribute from your queries will enhance your query performance and remove a roadblock we face in offering you greater performance and scale in Assets. We encourage you to refine your AQL queries by narrowing the scope of the query and pinpointing the specific attribute you're interested in. Also consider including fundamental clauses like schema and object type which can significantly speed up loading results by eliminating numerous objects from the search at once.

Your understanding and cooperation on this matter are greatly appreciated. Feel free to reach out to our support team if you have any queries or require further information.

Thank you for your continued trust and for being an integral part of our Atlassian community.

Regards,

Justin King
Product Manager, Jira Service Management

6 comments

Kevin Thibeault January 23, 2024

Thanks for the heads up on this. Any information on possibly adding and being able to save AQL filters? 

Justin King
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2024

Hi Kevin. Sorry. I don't have any news to share on this one just yet. We understand it's important though, especially from folks who may have relied on it in Assets for Server / DC who wish to migrate to cloud. 

Justin King
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2024

Hello all. I wanted to flag that since posting this announcement we have encountered the need to expedite the retirement of anyAttribute. We now intend for it to be removed a little earlier, on 31st March 2024. This will allow us to continue to bring you further performance improvements to Assets sooner. I apologise for any confusion.

As always, reach out if you have any concerns. 

Daniel Carnovale
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 28, 2024

No worries, currently it works well, but I couldn't see in the documentation how to target for specific fields.

In my case I want to automate searching for Jira users, but trying "User("Jira User")" etc didn't work, but anyattribute did. How would I achieve this so it's more direct after the deprecation and can include it within my Powershell module? Cheers!

AQL.jpg

Justin King
Atlassian Team
March 7, 2024

@Kevin Thibeault sorry I should have mentioned. You now this insert a table of Assets into a confluence page populated via an AQL query. This might be a workaround? 

Justin King
Atlassian Team
March 7, 2024

Hi @Daniel Carnovale As an example, if the attribute on your object was called "Owner" you could do this search with the AQL 

"Owner" = "Daniel Carnovale-Evans"

This would work if your attribute type was a simple Text field or a Jira user field.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events