Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Tracking Metrics in Jira Service Management Reports

Hello everyone!

I wanted to provide a quick overview of how the logic behind how time tracking works when using different date ranges in a report. This seems to be a somewhat common request, to understand why the period selected is days but the summary metric shows in hours (for example).

Firstly, from a code perspective, the report summary section metrics (months/days/hours/minutes) is quite implicit, internal and dynamic. It doesn’t use the select period and it’s not designed to use the time period selected either. The time period is only for splitting reporting data into buckets. In my test case (screenshot below) the bucket is one day:

e94d8895-606e-4e82-9568-62c8626c0725.png

The metric is determined in the report frontend by comparing the max Y axis value in the report data with 3 thresholds, 6 months, 30 days and 2 hours. In my case, the max Y axis is the max Time to resolution time among all the one-day buckets.

• If max Y > 6 months, we use months,

• If max Y > 30 days, we use days,

• If max Y > 2 hours, we use hours,

• Otherwise we use minutes.

In conclusion, this logic is not impacted by how long the date range you choose is and which Period you choose in the UI. This was also how it was designed and implemented by our development team.

Thanks for reading!

Christian

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events