Pre-populate Fields from URL

Hi everyone!

This article is to provide a quick overview of how to pre-populate fields (such as: summary/description) from a Customer Portal URL.

To do this:

1. Navigate to a Customer Portal Request Form

2. Within the URL, at the end, add in either ?summary=test or ?description=test (where “test” is the value for the summary or description field

1. Additionally, you could also combined the two by using the “&” symbol, such as ?summary=test&description=test

3. The URL should look similar to the following: https://yoursitename.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/group/5/create/6?summary=test&description=test

Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.22.30 AM.png

You can also do this for custom text fields. If you have the custom field ID, for example: ?customfield_10026=test this can also populate a custom text fields value.

To gather the custom field ID:

1. Navigate to Settings > issues > Custom fields 
    1. under the Fields section
    2. Click on the More () icon to the right of the custom field you are obtaining the ID
    3. Select the View field information option
    4. Observe the URL in your browser, which will contain the ID of the field:

custom_field_id_url.png

In the above example, the custom field ID is 10026.

This option is a good alternative to pre-filling information, rather than from a default value, automation rule, etc. but instead by reconfiguring the URL to pre-fill the summary, description and custom text fields on any request form.

NOTE: This feature does not work with Forms specifically, as the pre-filled data is overwritten when the Form loads on the page 

Thanks for reading!

Christian

32 comments

Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 8, 2022

Absolutely awesome!! 

Thanks @Christian Beaulieu 

Like Christian Beaulieu likes this
Geoff Mether _Togetha Group_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2022

That’s wonderful. Very pleased this is available, thanks for sharing!

M_Munari April 28, 2022

Fantastic!

Giovanni Melai May 9, 2022

Cool functionality. Is it possible to make it work with Insight fields?

Frederik Vindum May 10, 2022

Hi - very nice and useful feature.

But where exactly do I locate the URL field to be configured?

I see I must go to a Customer Portal Request Form but where is that? I see the Forms section in the project menu and have looked a bit into that but unable to identify a URL field.

/Frederik

Jelle Hutting May 11, 2022

@Frederik Vindum it's located on the portal side (front end). You can adjust the url which will prefill the service request fields.

The use cases are limited since this does not set default values when a user navigates via the portal to the service request. He must use the custom url which you have provided by other means.

Like # people like this
Kevin Oechsle May 24, 2022

This is wonderful, it works well with text type fields, but are you able to make it work with a dropdown field? 

Like # people like this
Nick June 21, 2022

I really looked forward to this feature but also struggle to get it to work with dropdown fields. We have users select the "Application" they are reporting a bug on and I wanted to provide a direct url from the application they were arriving from.

Like Thomas Kiefer likes this
caspero September 13, 2022

Please confirm if this can also work for Data Center? We have tried, but can not get it working.

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2022

This is super! Thanks for the post @Christian Beaulieu 

@Kevin Oechsle / @Nick  - if you can pull the IDs of the values of the dropdown you can set it that way. Eg if customfield_111111 has value X with ID 1 https://test.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/2/group/11/create/17?summary=test&description=test&customfield_11111=1 will populate the dropdown selecing value X.

@Christian Beaulieu  - I wonder if we can populate some date about the user too? Eg if i want the user to create a request via a link and then append their jira user display Name at the end of the summary?

Hope that helps. 

Thanks again

Yatish

Robert Kubacki October 26, 2022

Hey @Christian Beaulieu 

Is it possible to use this solution with a FORM (new feature) that is embedded in a request form?
In my case, fields embedded in a form are linked to the Jira custom field
Links look similar but don't work:
https://test.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/11/group/111/create/333?customfield_11111=123
https://test.atlassian.net/jira/servicedesk/projects/XXXX/forms/form/direct/1/10002?requestTypeId=268?customfield_11111=123

Regards

Like # people like this
Patrick van der Rijst November 3, 2022

Does it have support for setting the organization field or raise on behalf as well?

Lewis Hepburn November 29, 2022

Please can this functionality be applied to business forms also? With url like: https://<user>.atlassian.net/jira/core/projects/<project_name>/form/<form_no>?summary=example

Mark Kelly November 30, 2022

The only way to get the drop-downs working was to figure out the POSTed data and get the IDs for different drop-downs from that.  Then use them in the URL arguments.  This trick doesn't work with Atlassian usern IDs, however, passing the 24-character hex ID seems to have no effect and just leaves the field blank.

Like # people like this
Negin Nafari December 6, 2022

On DC instances this seems to be available from the 4.22 version

source: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-4049

Like Brent Nye likes this
Matt Miller December 14, 2022

This is a great start and something I know we'll utilize. Here's hoping this can be someday be used with forms as that will simplify and help some of our workflow from Salesforce by capturing Case info and passing that through the URL into a form. We're looking at just making those custom fields and putting them outside the actual form for now.

Steve Letch January 17, 2023

Did anyone figure out the formatting to do it with Insight custom fields? played around a bunch and couldn't get it to select the right object even allowing for having the object key alongside the name and field ID

Like Thomas Rieder likes this
Patrick van der Rijst January 17, 2023

@Steve Letch it's not supported, only some set of standard custom fields.

Sean Drohan February 14, 2023

This process to obtain the custom field ID only seem to pertain to company-managed projects.  I cant seem to find one for team-managed projects.  Can anyone assist with that?

Thanks.

AB March 30, 2023

Hello everyone, I was able to use this feature with the text box and simple fields but struggling to use this with a cascading field. For eg. If I have a custom field 37274, Box 1 is a dropdown with list of all the tools and applications and box 2 is sub categories based on Tool/ Application (Box 1). Lets say box 1 is Type of Mobile handset - Android/ IOS/ Windows. If Android is selected, Box 2 would give options like - Samsung/ Motorola/Oneplus/ Others. Now if I want to create a URL with Custom Field 37274 = Android+Samsung (Pre-populated value), how can we do that? 

Thanks!

louis_martineau April 27, 2023

This does not seem to be working on our DC instance, is there a specific version that should work?

chris.green July 21, 2023

Trying to get this to work for a single select drop-down field. I have my custom field ID, i.e. customfield_10212=, but I'm not sure what value to include after the equals sign. Or how do I find the value of the drop down item? 

Giovanni Melai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2023

Hi @chris.green

you need the Custom Field Value ID, it's something like "12345". To get it you need to be a Jira Admin (or ask one). 

You need to go to the "Custom fields" page, search for the custom field that you are looking for, click on the icon with 3 dots on the right of the Field, and click on "Contexts and default value", where you see the list of options for the field click on "Edit options" then for the option you want to pre-select in the form click on "Edit".

Now that you are in the page to edit it you need to check the URL, at the very end you'll see something like ...&selectedValue=12496, that is the ID you need :) 

I hope this helps

Yanick Schlatter August 14, 2023

I was planning on linking issues with this feature. Is this possible?

I was going for something like this: https://mydomain.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/18/group/50/create/183?issuelinks=ABC-1

Which didn't work for me, any ideas?

Cheers

Like # people like this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 24, 2023

Hi again. Any way to format fields? Eg have bold, italics and bulleted data auto-populate in the description field? Thank you

Like Carrie Richards likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events