Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New! Restrict your internal notes to project roles or groups

Hello everyone! ðŸ‘‹

We’re excited to announce a new feature for Jira Service Management. You can now restrict the visibility of internal notes, based on your project roles and groups. 🎉

Comment visibility screenshot.jpg

Sometimes, teams need to have private discussions about customer requests, and in the case of particularly sensitive topics these discussions may need to be confidential between only a few team members (such as those in your HR or Legal teams).

With the ability to restrict the visibility of internal comments, you can now continue those confidential discussions on the issue itself, rather than transferring to email or other tools to keep the information private.

Using internal note restrictions

Navigate to an issue and open the issue view. Find the comment section, and start creating an internal note. Then, select the Comment visibility button. By default, internal notes are visible to all internal users of your service project, so you’ll see an open lock icon (or if you’re using a screen reader, hear 'Visible to all users').

Once you’ve opened the menu, choose which group or role you’d like to restrict this comment to. Now, save your comment!

Only the comment creator and users added to the selected group or project role will see this comment once it’s saved, meaning you can continue to work knowing your confidential request information will stay private to you and your team.

Find our more about project roles in Jira Service Management, or learn how to create and manage your groups.

If you’re a Jira admin, you can also choose whether your team can restrict comments to both Groups and Project roles, or only restrict to Project roles.

Go to Global Settings, then Settings, then General Configuration. Select Edit Settings, and find the Comment visibility setting in the Options section. Select Project Roles only if your team only needs to restrict comments to project roles, or select Groups & Project Roles to allow your team members to restrict to either. It’s important to remember that this setting will apply across every project on your site - not just to Jira Service Management.

What's next?

Our engineering team has been hard at work bringing this highly requested feature from Jira to Jira Service Management. Now, based on your feedback, we’ll be exploring future updates to make this feature work even better.

We’d love to hear from you, so add comments below if you have any questions or feedback for the team.

Best regards,

Sarah Campbell

Designer || Jira Service Management

11 comments

Geraldine Gordon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 21, 2024

I've been following this request for a long time and unfortunately this does not meet my original request. I wonder if you will extend this to cover the option to respond to certain external people, i.e. a participant or the approver as there are times where you may have a question just for that person

Like • Cael Metcalfe likes this
Vedant Kulkarni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2024

Handy feature.

Like • Sarah Campbell likes this
Ciara TN
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 27, 2024

@Sarah Campbell Is this only for Cloud or will it be coming to DC also? 

Sarah Campbell
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2024

@Geraldine Gordon Thanks for the feedback. We have more work we'd like to do on this feature, so I'll send your feedback to the team. Would you expect specific options, e.g. 'restrict to approver' or the general ability to restrict to any user you choose?

María Pérez Castro
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 28, 2024

@Sarah Campbell it's a very necessary feature also in Jira Service Management projects.

Please could you clarify if you will include this enhancement also for Data Center or only for Cloud?

And in which version? Thanks in advance.

Like • Julia Ganz likes this
Rafael Matos May 29, 2024

Great update, I've been waiting for this for a long time.

As a suggestion, it should be possible to choose which permission should be the default, instead of the default being visible to everyone.

Rudy Holtkamp May 30, 2024

Hi @Sarah Campbell ,

It would also be nice to visually see that the comment is restricted to a role/group/... 
In a JSM project the background of internal comments is yellow, customer facing comments white, so another color (or icon or whatever you can think of) would stand out that the comment is restricted.

Ed Osborn June 6, 2024

Is there (or will there be) a way to set a default visibility for a project? So all internal comments default to being visible to a given group, and other stakeholders could have a JSM license, have a stakeholder role in the project and have full view of the issues, but not the internal comments?

Like • Tyler Krzanowski likes this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2024

Thank you - this is great! 

I will use this more and share with some of our power users. 

If a restricted user is @ mentioned on a restricted comment will they be able to see it and will they be notified of this?

Thank you

Angela Stephens June 12, 2024

I’d appreciate the reverse functionality (perhaps via a user, project, or system settings) that sets the default visibility to project roles or groups and exposing a comment to others must be specifically selected. 

Tyler Krzanowski June 13, 2024

I turned on the ability to use Groups and Project Roles but when entering an internal comment, the dropdown list is very limited.  You can scroll down a little bit but there are lots of groups missing.  Would be nice to either scroll to see all the groups or add the ability to search or start typing the group name.  

image.png

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events