You're on your way to the next level! Join the Kudos program to earn points and save your progress.
Level 1: Seed
25 / 150 points
1 badge earned
Challenges come and go, but your rewards stay with you. Do more to earn more!
What goes around comes around! Share the love by gifting kudos to your peers.
Join now to unlock these features and more
I'm Paulo, a Jira Service Management Support Engineer, and I'm here to share some information about common issues that we, Atlassian Support, face on a daily basis. As my starting point, there's nothing better than Jira Service Management Incoming Mail cases.
Quite often, we receive reports from customers saying that "replies to Jira Service Management Tickets are not being added as comments of the issue". Eventually, those replies are simply ignored due to Customer Permissions or result in duplicate tickets. However, I would like to cover a different case now.
There are a few cases where everything seems correct in the JSM side, and yet, when the customer replies to a Jira Service Management issue notification, their email isn't added as a comment of the ticket. After some investigation, we finally found a pattern in all of those cases, as all of the affected users seem to be using Office 365 Webmail to reply to Jira notifications.
Apparently, the “reply” action on O365 eventually disregards the "reply-to" mail header, and sends the email response to the actual email sender (the address in the *From* header) instead. By Googling, it's possible to see multiple reports of it across the Internet. Below you can find a couple.
In a Jira Service Management project, you can configure two different addresses to receive requests by email: a Cloud one (owned by Atlassian) and a Custom one (owned by you). By default, those email addresses are not used to send Jira notifications. Instead, the regular firstname.lastname@example.org is used for that matter.
Because of that, Jira Service Management adds a “reply-to” mail header to customer notifications, indicating to the email client that the reply has to go to the email handler, and not to email@example.com. This is to guarantee that the message is delivered to the right address, as firstname.lastname@example.org will not process customer’s emails, as it validates the user’s license (replies from agents are successfully processed by email@example.com).
Well, not everyone makes use of the reply-to header, and as all of the Jira Service Management notifications have it, it’s easy to assume that the issue only occurs in Jira. To rule that out, I’ve performed the following:
In my personal Gmail Test account, I’ve created a rule to set my work email address as the “reply-to”, as per this article.
2. I’ve Sent a dummy message from my Gmail account to an O365 one.
3. The mail header contains the “reply-to” value set to my Atlassian account.
4. On the O365 side, the “reply-to” header was also present.
5. Regardless of the header, the “reply” button would still target the wrong email address instead.
My assumption here is that O365 saves the User’s name in the “From” address as a mail contact, and when the user hits “reply”, the application doesn’t read the mail header and targets the message to the mail contact instead. As Jira Service Management sends a message with the “Agent” name in the subject line, a new contact is cached with the site’s notification address.
An important note is that the issue actually takes a while to happen in O365. You might have to wait for a little before Outlook associates the user with Jira’s email address.
I’m not an expert on O365, so I’m not sure if it's possible to do something on Outlook’s side. Instead, we can workaround this issue by setting Jira’s notification address to be the same as the Projects mail handler. That way, even with Outlook’s odd behavior, will still land on the Service Management project.
Please note that if you’re using a custom email handler to process Jira Service Management tickets, you’ll have to follow this documentation in order to use your domain to send Jira notifications.
Go to your Jira Service Management Project and click on Project settings.
On the left panel, look for Summary.
Scroll down until you see the Notifications section.
Click on the pencil icon and edit the email address, replacing it with the one by the email handler (find it on the Email requests section)
That should be all. I hope this helps you!
Paulo Junior - Atlassian Cloud Support