Get early access to new workflow functionality for Jira Service Management

To our friends on Community!

We are excited to announce an early access program for a new feature in Jira Service Management that will allow you to create a new workflow and map it to an existing request type. This will make it possible for you to create a new workflow for a single request type and then edit it as you see fit, making workflows much easier to work with. No need to update workflow schemes, issue type schemes or anything outside your project, this feature will handle all the Jira configuration for you.

If you want to sign up, just click here! 

Once you sign up, the feature will be made available to you in the coming weeks. 

What is it?

After navigating to the “Request types” page, you can click on the three-dot menu for any request type and select “Replace with new”. This will allow you to create a simple workflow that you can later edit and build on.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 4.44.34 pm.png

We will first prompt you to name the new workflow and new issue type that we will create for you. We recommend that your workflow and issue type have the same (or very similar names) so you know how they relate to each other.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 4.46.20 pm.png

Once you’ve named your workflow and issue type, if you have any existing issues mapped to that request type, we will update them. This will require a status mapping if the new workflow doesn’t have all the statuses on your current workflow.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 4.48.59 pm.png

Once that is done, you’ll see a success notification on the bottom left and will be prompted to navigate to the workflow and edit it.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 4.52.30 pm.png

If you click on that link, you can further edit the workflow as needed.

Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 4.53.26 pm.png

How does it work?

Under the hood, we are creating a new workflow and a new issue type and mapping it to the project. This is done by updating your global configuration so it just works. This involves changes to your screens, issue type screen scheme, issue type scheme, workflow scheme and the creation of a new workflow and issue type.

We know that Jira administration can be complex, so we are providing a shortcut so you can focus on your work and spend less time configuring things.

What’s next?

We are working towards workflow templates, which will allow you to select from a range of workflows designed for specific use cases. We are aiming to release this later this year (or early next year at the latest).

The catalog of workflow templates will cover use cases spanning from Finance to HR.

Workflow templates 1.png

Select a workflow, preview it to understand whether it meets your needs or simply to get ideas about how you might want to configure your own workflows.

Workflow templates 2.png

Why sign up for the early access program?

If you sign up for the early access program, you will be the first to get access to this feature and the first to receive improvements as we roll them out.

The purpose of the program is to get feedback to make sure this feature meets your needs so you’ll be able to provide feedback that will inform how and what we build. There is no time commitment but we would appreciate if you could spare some time to chat with us about your experience with the new feature to see how we can improve it.

The feature will be fully productionised and tested but, if you do find any issues, you can simply inform us and we will either provide a fix or, if you prefer, disable the feature.

We looking forward to hearing from you! If you have any questions or comments, you can comment below or email me directly at: jgonsalkorale@atlassian.com

Otherwise, simply click here to sign up

Best wishes to you all,

Jehan Gonsalkorale

Product Manager, Jira Service Management

10 comments

Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2023

Thanks @Jehan Gonsalkorale

I signed up and am excited to test this feature in the EAP.

Like Jehan Gonsalkorale likes this
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

@Jehan Gonsalkorale thanx for this update! Signed up already!

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 15, 2023

Does this mean we can have different workflows for different request types with the same issue type?

If you have 2 request types using the same issue type and you change the workflow of the first request type, will the workflow of the second request type also change?

Like # people like this
Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2023

Hi @Dave Mathijs , that's a very good question. The answers to your questions are no on both counts. 

When you change the workflow of one request type, we will prompt you to create a new issue type that will map to the new workflow. No other request types will be affected. 

It is no different than:

1. Creating a new workflow
  2. Creating a new issue type
  3. Adding the new issue type to your project's issue type scheme
  4. Updating the workflow scheme to map it to the new issue type
  5. Changing the issue type of the request type you want to modify

We'd love for you to sign up to our early access program so you can give us feedback!

Best regards,

Jehan

Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 15, 2023

@Jehan Gonsalkorale 

Will this be available on both CMP and TMP?

In addition, why the workflow templates has the "new" workflow experience? Tell me that this new workflow experience is not final!

But to be fairly honest:

• I do like the ease of use of this new feature (change on the fly workflow etc)
  • Workflow template library with a preview
Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2023

Hi @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ , thanks for the questions!

This is only planned for company managed service projects (for now) but we will definitely consider releasing them for team-managed service projects as well. 

I'd love to get your feedback regarding the new workflow experience. The whole point of this early access program is to listen to your feedback and learn from it, so once we release it to your instance, I'll be in touch to organise a session to get your thoughts. 

And thanks for the kind words, appreciate it!

Best regards,

Jehan

Tomislav Tobijas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2023

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to workflow templates 🙂

Erki Tammik
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2023

@Jehan Gonsalkorale 

Lets say I have 1 issue type that has 2 request types.

Issue type: Security
Request type1: "Apply for door card"        | <- this should have own workflow
Request type2: "I've lost my door card"     | <- this should have own workflow

Can both request types now have different workflows even if they use the same issue type?

I imagine that's what users want, as it is what I want. Otherwise, this update only makes it easier to create workflows but still does not provide what users need.

In such situation described above, I have simply created universal workflows to serve both request types.

Like Pankaj katoch likes this
Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
May 19, 2023

Hi @Erki Tammik , thanks for your comment. I absolutely understand where you're coming from. Unfortunately, that feature would be much harder to build, which is why it's not a feasible solution

It is definitely what many users would prefer but would require that we fundamentally change Jira and this would literally take us years and many more teams. 

This will instead create a new issue type and take care of the schemes for you, which should make things substantially easier. 

I hope that helps. 

Best regards,

Jehan

Kristján Geir Mathiesen
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2023

Good stuff! I am...

giphy

...to see it in the EAP!

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events