Forms Use Case: New Employee Onboarding (Cross Project; Cloud Only)

This is a Forms for Jira Service Management Use Case. We’re publishing a series of these use cases here on Community to share how teams are using Forms to deliver high velocity service. Click here to see all of the published Forms use cases currently published.

Scenario

New employee onboarding is a complex process that requires inputs from HR, IT and Facilities teams (not to mention the new employee’s supervisor).  An efficient onboarding process in Jira Service Management saves time for the supervisor and ensures that the new employee has everything they need to get started at their new job.

This example uses Jira Service Management and Deep Clone for Jira. This use case makes it possible for all three teams to conduct their onboarding tasks simultaneously, while the hiring supervisor only has to submit one request. HR, IT and Facilities manage their tasks in discreet Jira projects, ensuring confidentiality. Automation and validation maximize efficiency while ensuring that all tasks get completed.

Who’s involved?

• Supervisor
  • New employee
  • HR agent
  • IT team
  • Facilities team
  • Other key personnel

Typical Issue Life Cycle

1. A supervisor submits a New Hire Onboard request form via the HR help desk on the Jira Service Management portal.
  2. When the form is submitted, the request is automatically transitioned to the OPEN status. The HR Agent checks for completeness.  
  3. If all the of the information is complete and correct, the HR agent transitions the request to IMPLEMENTING. 
  4. A Deep Clone post function creates a clone of the issue, including the New Hire Onboard Request form, in the IT Onboarding/ Offboarding Project and the Facilities Onboarding/ Offboarding Project.
  5. Project Automation sends out an email to key personnel in the IT and Facilities projects to notify them that there is a new issue awaiting their attention. 
  6. When HR is ready to begin their onboarding tasks, they transition the issue to IN PROGRESS.  The HR New Hire Checklist is automatically added to the issue.
  7. HR, IT and Operations team members begin work, logging progress on their respective checklists and submitting the forms when their work is completed. 
  8. When members of the IT and Facilities team have finished work on the request, they can transition their respective issues to DONE. A workflow validator prevents the transition if the form has not been completed and submitted. The HR agent can see that the linked issues have been transitioned to DONE.
  9. When the HR agent completes the items on the HR Checklist, they transition the issue to FINAL REVIEW.
  10. HR verifies that all tasks have been completed and transitions the request to DONE. A workflow validator prevents the transition unless all forms on the request have been submitted.

Set up

Project Automation

• Set up automation in each of the HR, IT and Facilities projects to automatically add the respective checklist when the issue is transitioned to IN PROGRESS.
  • Set up a workflow validator in each of the HR, IT and Facilities projects to prevent the issues from being transitioned to DONE unless the forms are complete and submitted.

Deep Clone

• Create a Deep Clone post function, triggered when the issue is transitioned to IMPLEMENTING, that creates a clone of the issue in the IT project.
  • Create a Deep Clone post function, triggered when the issue is transitioned to IMPLEMENTING, that creates a clone of the issue in the Facilities project.

Project Automation (cont.)

• Set an automation rule, triggered when the issue in the HR project transitions to IMPLEMENTING, that sends a notification to designated personnel in the IT and Facilities projects to tell them that there is a new onboarding request.
  • Set another automation rule, triggered when the issue in the HR project transitions to CANCELED, that sends a notification to designated personnel in the IT and Facilities projects to tell them that the request has been canceled.

A note on automation and forms

At the time of this post, form automation has not been released. We are working on an integration of forms with Automation for Jira that will enable you to recreate this use case and other similar workflows. We’re sharing this now so you can see what’s possible when the ability to leverage automation and forms is available.

Workflows

HR Project Workflow​

HR UC 1 - hr project workflow.png

IT Onboarding/Offboarding Project Workflow

Facilities Onboarding/Offboarding Project Workflow

HR UC 2 - it and facilities onboarding.png

Note that this use case has been designed for HR, IT and Facilities teams to work in separate projects. Alternatively, the three teams can work together in a shared Jira project.

Forms

Each form listed below is available as a Jira Service Management form template within the form builder. Learn more about creating and editing forms here.

New Hire Onboard Request

HR UC 3 - new hire onboard request.png

HR Onboarding Checklist

HR UC 4 - he onboarding checklist.png

Operations Onboarding Checklist

HR UC 5 - operations new hire checklist.png

IT Onboarding Checklist

HR UC 6 - it new hire checklist.png

16 comments

Oliver Bates March 1, 2022

@Peter Preston This is exactly what we are looking for. Do you know if there is a release date or early access available for Form automation?

Like # people like this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 1, 2022

Hi @Oliver Bates 👋

There is no early access available, but we are getting close to releasing the automation functionality. Either me or someone on the forms team will publish an update on automation here in Community when we're able to share a release date. 

Also coming soon: We're launching a Forms Group on Community. Watch this space for that to open, too. That's where we'll concentrate our forms-related content.

Josh Hammond March 3, 2022

@Peter Preston this is a fantastic post. We're looking to use this functionality as well (albeit without the Deep Clone add-in).

Mike Lee March 3, 2022

Definitely interested over here ✋🏼
Can you share a ballpark timeline for when we can expect this?
Like sometime in the next couple of months or later in the year or 2023?

Like # people like this
stephan.dettmar March 3, 2022

Fantastic!  We are currently introducing a global HR system.  With this introduction, we are looking to "automate" our hire/change/term processes in JSM.  This sounds like a great solution.  What is the timeline?

Like Peter Preston likes this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2022

Very happy to hear this use case resonates. I'll pass along these comments to the original author -- I'm just the guy who posted these. 

@Oliver Bates @[deleted] @Mike Lee @stephan.dettmar here's what I can tell you about the automation timeline:

We plan to release it in the next couple of months. I'd love to share an exact date with you here and as soon as I can confirm it, I will. 

Thanks for commenting. Your feedback is valuable. Please keep it coming!

Like Kojo likes this
Mike Lee March 3, 2022

Just knowing that timeline is helpful thank you!

Like # people like this
PWarren April 14, 2022

We are currently working on this manually, please let us know when the automation will be available

Like Peter Preston likes this
Michael_Palapar August 15, 2022

Do we have an update on this one?

Adam McBride October 13, 2022

Was this ever released by any chance? Looks just the ticket for us.

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 18, 2022

@Adam McBride @Michael_Palapar could you share what you'd like to do or aren't able to do with the automation rules as they are today? Happy to work through it with you if it helps.

Ivene Simpao January 23, 2023

@Peter Preston I am currently working on improvements. Can you share some links a a starter of Jira Service Management? Specifically, I wanted this kind of solution for our organization! Looking forward to your reply.

Like Kojo likes this
Armando Alberti July 28, 2023

@Peter Preston  Where do I get this workflow and forms? 

Girish Reddy September 9, 2023

Hi @Armando Alberti I'll let Peter provide information on the workflows but our marketplace app provides support for the exact same use case described above. Would love to show you a demo.

James Chan
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 22, 2024

Hi,

Is this available?

Thanks,

James

Jason Selby February 5, 2024

Is this available yet?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events