Forms Use Case: Managing a Standard Change with Jira Service Management

This is a Jira Service Management Forms Use Case. We’re publishing a series of these use cases here on Community to share how teams are using forms to deliver high velocity service. Click here to see all published forms use cases.

Scenario  

The ITSM team needs to make changes to their firewall in order to whitelist a new app.

NOTE: This use case demonstrates a Standard Change. Click here to see the Normal Change use case.

Standard changes are low-risk, commonly repeated, and pre-approved. Normal changes are non-emergency changes without a defined, pre-approved process. Click here for more information on the different types of change management for ITSM teams.

Who’s involved?

• IT team member(s)

• Change Manager

Typical Issue Life Cycle

1. An internal IT team member completes a Change Request form from a Jira Service Management help desk that is only exposed to the IT team. 

2. Since the change type is Standard and an SOP was selected on the change request form, the issue is automatically transitioned to AWAITING IMPLEMENTATION. 

3. When ready, the Change Manager changes the issue status to IMPLEMENTING and work begins.

4. Upon completion, a team member transitions the issue to POST IMPLEMENTATION REVEIW.  A Post Implementation Review form is automatically added to the issue.

5. The Change Manager sees that the change has been completed successfully, fills out the form and changes the issue to CLOSED. 

Set Up

Set up - ITSM Form Use Case- Change Management - Standard Change.png

1. This use case presumes that there are a series of pre-approved Standard Operating Procedures for standard changes.
  2. Use Project Automation for Cloud to automatically transition the issue to AWAITING IMPLEMENTATION for standard changes with an SOP selected.
  3. Use Forms automation to add an Implementation Review form when the issue is transitioned to the POST IMPLEMENTATION REVIEW status.

A note on automation and forms

At the time of this post, form automation has not been released. We are working on an integration of forms with Automation for Jira that will enable you to recreate this use case and other similar workflows. We’re sharing this now so you can see what’s possible when the ability to leverage automation and forms is available.

Workflow

Forms

All forms listed below are available as a Jira Service Management form template. Learn more about creating and editing forms here.

Change Request

Change Request - ITSM Form Use Case- Change Management - Standard Change.png

Post Implementation Review

Post Implementation Review - ITSM Form Use Case- Change Management - Standard Change.png

3 comments

Carmen Nadeau
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2022

Hi @Peter Preston , great example!

I have juste one remark, in ITIL v4,  a standard change is a pre-approved change and does not need the Change manager to OK the implementation. The goal is to deploy standard changes without having a waiting period. 

If you need the Change Manager during this process/implementation, it is not a standard change.  

Like # people like this
Allison Carlson April 14, 2022

Hi @Peter Preston  - 

Great example !

I have a few questions if you don't mind. 

1) in your example, is SOP a custom field with a select list of values and those SOPs are in Confluence?

2) Do those SOPs have an existing Standard CR that hey reference (IE: one that was already approved?)

3)  JSM Out of the Box functionality question:  

• I have a client who wants to display in the JSM portal a list of already approved Standard Change Requests to the user when they are creating a new CR, to reference an existing standard CR.
  • I proposed adding the list of these approved CRs to Insight, then displaying an Insight field in the portal  to show pre-approved CRs for selection. 
  • However my client pointed out this page:  https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-management/product-guide/getting-started/change-management#how-to-get-started.    under section: "Streamline change request intake for IT, developer, and business teams" Atlassian shows a printscreen with field: 'Standard Changes', description = 'Select from a list of pre-approved standard changes'
  • So looking at this screen, it appears to my client that this feature is already available in JSM out of the box.   
  • 1) Are you familiar with this section,  and could you please confirm this is NOT an OOB field in JSM?
  • 2) What are your thoughts on how this was done?

Thank you much for your time.

Like Peter Preston likes this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2022

Hi @Allison Carlson 👋 Here goes :) 

1. In this example, the SOP is a Checkbox field that we hard keyed. You could use any of the choice fields. You could also use a Data Connection to retrieve JSON data from Rest APIs and use this data to populate a choice list (if you have a directory of SOPs). 
  2. The SOPs in the example aren't related to anything. If you have SOPs with related/approved CRs, you could link them. Depending on how they're cataloged. 
  3. You can build the functionality shown in that screenshot. However,
    1. Lists of pre-approved Standard Changes is not an OOTB field; and, 
    2. I recommend adding approved CRs to Insight as you suggest above

Please let me know if we can help craft a solution for your client or if you have any other questions. 

Like Allison Carlson likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events