Edit Insight custom fields as ANY Jira User!

Hello everyone!

We are excited to announce that in a soon to be released update to Jira Service Management, Jira Software and Jira Work Management users will be able to view and edit the contents of an Insight custom field on an issue (providing they have edit permissions on the issue) without needing a Jira Service Management license.

Whats changing?

Until now, Jira Software or Jira Work Management Cloud users were limited to only viewing the contents of an Insight custom field on an issue. In order to edit the contents of the field a user would need Jira Service Management Premium access.

We know this has been a challenge for customers who use Insight frequently outside of Jira Service Management to connect work being done to a related asset (product, part, component, etc). Take the case of a development team storing components in Insight that are shared with a service desk or SRE team. The developers need the ability to connect those components to tasks, bugs and epics.

With this change, teams will have greater ability to leverage the Insight custom field in use cases that utilise Jira Software or Jira Work Management projects. This flexibility better aligns teams and supports change management efforts across the organisation without the need to purchase additional licenses.

What do I need to do?

You don’t need to do anything to turn this capability on, it will be rolling out to all customers and will be the default behaviour. This will be happening in the coming weeks.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or would like to talk more about how you are utilising Insight in your organisation!

14 comments

Fabian Lim
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2022

This is great news!

Great job guys and thanks for listening to the customers.

Like # people like this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2022

Great @Justin King!

I'm guessing the pre-requisite that you have a JSM Premium license to actually get Insight still stands?

Like Oliver Wemyss likes this
Justin King
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2022

Thats correct @Dirk Ronsmans. If there are any customers out there who want to use Insight without JSM I'd love to hear from you so I can better understand your use case!

Like # people like this
Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 19, 2022

Hey @Justin King ,

Not immediatly just trying to make sure I got all the facts right :) I do tend to use Insight for a lot more than a CMDB (basically as an extra storage location for data to pull from) so I'm sure somebody will be able to think of something :)

Like Justin King likes this
Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022

@Justin King There is absolutely a need for users to use Insight/Assets in Jira Software, so I don't understand why it's restricted/limited to JSM Premium licenses.

Like # people like this
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 1, 2022

Hi @Justin King

This is a great step forward and it is greatly appreciated. Not entirely sure what this means with regards to managing the actual data in Insight. Does it still require a JSM Premium license to add new objects?

Like Carl Allen likes this
Justin King
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2022

Hi @Walter Buggenhout

That's correct. At least for now data management (i.e. accessing the core Insight experience) will still require a JSM Premium license.  

Carl Allen July 7, 2022

As long time users of Insight this was bad news for us, our sales and project management teams use insight as a source of truth for what customers have/are licensed for, which fed our JSM desks, Every Manager in our whole company uses it as a "Resource Manager" for what skills people have, (need a Groovy Dev?, go look for one in the directory) and what projects people were on, who has worked with who in the past, things like that.

If we migrate to cloud we'll have to build custom projects and workarounds for every little thing (want to update your languages put in a ticket!, yes I can automate it but remember you can't edit fields in JSM Portal as a customer so that's going to be messy.).

Or Purchase an extra Hundred or Two JSM licenses.

I mean I get it, but it would really nice if there was a simple "Edit object screen" that wasn't full insight but could give "Developer" Access to a user to edit objects.

I'm ok with JSM Premium being a requirement to even have insight but requiring a JSM license to edit a tool we've used for 6+ years, this is the biggest pain point to moving from server to cloud for me.

I do however appreciate how open Atlassian has been about it thought. That part is refreshing (not surprising just refreshing.)

Like Majken Longlade likes this
Justin King
Atlassian Team
July 7, 2022

Happy Friday everyone!

This capability will begin rolling out to all customers on the continuous release track as of today. This will happen progressively over a two week period so if you don't see it right away don't worry, its coming! If you are on the bundled release track this may take a little longer to appear on your site. 

All the best,

Justin

Like # people like this
Rolf Kunz July 15, 2022

Hi @Justin King 

That is great indeed! We are using a combination of JSM and JWM projects for our internal IT support in our company and have for the JSM project used insight custom fields for users to pick their device for example. Does that mean we wouldn't longer have to copy certain data fields of the chosen object into normal text custom fields to acces the data in the JWM project (or other questioned: will we be able to use the insight custom fields the same way in JWM as in JSM?)?

Regards, Rolf

Miguel Ángel Pérez Montero July 15, 2022

When is it soon? For new instance this feature works?

Justin King
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2022

Hi @Miguel Ángel Pérez Montero

It's in the process of being rolled out. You may already have it and if not it will be out to all customers this week. Just be aware that if you have opted into the bundled release track this may take a little longer to appear on your site. 

Justin King
Atlassian Team
July 17, 2022

Hi @Rolf Kunz 

That's right! You can use the Insight field directly in JWM and have your users in those projects select Insight objects to connect to their issues. 

Like Rolf Kunz likes this
Patrick July 17, 2022

This change is most welcome.  Thanks Atlassian.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events