Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Edit Insight custom fields as ANY Jira User!

Hello everyone!

We are excited to announce that in a soon to be released update to Jira Service Management, Jira Software and Jira Work Management users will be able to view and edit the contents of an Insight custom field on an issue (providing they have edit permissions on the issue) without needing a Jira Service Management license.

Whats changing?

Until now, Jira Software or Jira Work Management Cloud users were limited to only viewing the contents of an Insight custom field on an issue. In order to edit the contents of the field a user would need Jira Service Management Premium access.

We know this has been a challenge for customers who use Insight frequently outside of Jira Service Management to connect work being done to a related asset (product, part, component, etc). Take the case of a development team storing components in Insight that are shared with a service desk or SRE team. The developers need the ability to connect those components to tasks, bugs and epics.

With this change, teams will have greater ability to leverage the Insight custom field in use cases that utilise Jira Software or Jira Work Management projects. This flexibility better aligns teams and supports change management efforts across the organisation without the need to purchase additional licenses.

What do I need to do?

You don’t need to do anything to turn this capability on, it will be rolling out to all customers and will be the default behaviour. This will be happening in the coming weeks.

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or would like to talk more about how you are utilising Insight in your organisation!

4 comments

Fabian Lim Community Leader Jun 16, 2022

This is great news!

Great job guys and thanks for listening to the customers.

Like Oliver Wemyss likes this
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Jun 17, 2022

Great @Justin King!

I'm guessing the pre-requisite that you have a JSM Premium license to actually get Insight still stands?

Like Oliver Wemyss likes this
Justin King Atlassian Team Jun 19, 2022

Thats correct @Dirk Ronsmans. If there are any customers out there who want to use Insight without JSM I'd love to hear from you so I can better understand your use case!

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Jun 19, 2022

Hey @Justin King ,

Not immediatly just trying to make sure I got all the facts right :) I do tend to use Insight for a lot more than a CMDB (basically as an extra storage location for data to pull from) so I'm sure somebody will be able to think of something :)

Like Justin King likes this

Comment

TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Service Management

Coming Soon: Insight Changing to Assets

The 2020 acquisition of Mindville added powerful asset and configuration management capabilities to Jira Service Management in the form of Insight. Following the completion of that integration, custo...

93 views 0 4
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you