Duplicate request type available in Jira Service Management Cloud

Hi all, 

Jira Service Management has just rolled out a feature that allows you to duplicate request types within a project so you can create your service catalogs faster. This is designed to allow you to save time if you have multiple request types that are very similar. 

To use the feature, click on "Project Settings" > "Request types" and then select the ellipsis menu (see below). 

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 5.29.53 pm.png

You will then be prompted to rename the request type, update the description and select an appropriate icon. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 5.33.52 pm.png

Once created, your new request type will contain the same configuration as your original request type. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 5.36.54 pm.png

While this does copy the vast majority of the request type configuration, it does not copy any associated forms and any JQL set to the Request Type level will need to be updated. 

This is just the first step, we are hoping to later enable the ability to copy request types across projects, although this is not expected this calendar year (sorry, I wish we could get it out earlier!). 

So, give this new feature a try and let us know if you have any feedback or thoughts. We'd love to hear from you. 

Best regards,

Jehan Gonsalkorale

Product Manager, Jira Service Management

13 comments

Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2022

Good stuff @Jehan Gonsalkorale . However, one question. Can It copy plugin data/validations?

Like Jehan Gonsalkorale likes this
Muhammad Fahad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2022

My colleague @Ahmed Zeb whished for this feature and it is released :)

Like # people like this
Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2022

Thanks @Muhammad Fahad great to know this feature will be useful to you.

I'm not sure about plugins as this will depend on how they are implemented. Jira configuration from the issue type and its associated screen scheme, field configuration, workflow and context will obviously continue as per usual and request type configuration such as hidden fields with preset values, required fields, field help, field names and request form help will also be copied. 

Which plugin data/validations are you using? 

Like Kalin U likes this
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 12, 2022

Great news, thanks for this update 💪
Just tried it, it works perfectly!

Like # people like this
Vincenzo Favara May 13, 2022

I cannot see the list as in the screenshot here, When I open the Request Types section. screen goes directly on the fort one.

SO I don't see the list to duplicate it. 

Can you help me on this please?

Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2022

@Vincenzo Favara, could you share a screenshot? I suspect this is because you have work categories selected, which would result in request types being split into their respective groups, including "Unassigned" where no group is mapped. The duplicate option should still appear but you will also have other options like "move". 

Essentially, you should have this for all your request types when you click on the three dot menu. 

If you could share a screenshot, I'll be better able to figure out what might be happening. 

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Jehan

Jörg Hoffmann May 16, 2022

Nice.
I'm guessing this should be super easy to make available on Datacenter as well?

Like # people like this
Manon Soubies-Camy _Modus Create_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 17, 2022

Great feature @Jehan Gonsalkorale it will save us a lot of time!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2022

Thanks as always @Jehan Gonsalkorale !!!

Juan Ignacio Tel July 6, 2022

@Jehan Gonsalkorale I think I'm in the same situation as @Vincenzo Favara : I don't see the option for duplicate. Could it happen that it's due to being using team-managed project? Our request types do not belong to issue types nor portal groups.

Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
July 6, 2022

Hi @Juan Ignacio Tel

You are correct, unfortunately. Duplicate is not available for Team Managed Projects yet but it is something we are looking into. 

Sorry that we can't help you at this point, but I will bring this to the team as it is something we would like to solve. 

Like # people like this
Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 14, 2022

It would be super helpful if we could edit the issue type rather than duplicate and or do both. I have to always change request to a full new issue type and than re-create them and bulk change which is time consuming because stakeholders change their minds about workflows that need approvals after the fact. 

Itab Khawandi November 15, 2023

Can we clone request types to other projects? or any duplicate them in same project?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events