Default Request Types (Now Available in the Feature Labs section of Jira Service Management Cloud!)

Hi everyone!

This is Jehan from Jira Service Management Cloud with a new Feature Labs release.

We are excited to "Default Request Types", a new feature that will ensure that issues no longer lose their Request Type when they are moved or the issue type is changed. 

How does it work? 

To access this feature, simply click on "Project Settings" > "Features" and scroll to the bottom. 

Default request types 1.png

If you turn on this feature, whenever an issue is moved (or any other action is taken that causes the request type to be lost), the request type field is updated so that it is not null. 

By default, it will select the first request type alphabetically. But you can override the default by setting the request type yourself. 

Default request types 2.png

Why is this in the "Feature Lab"?

This feature has been fully developed and tested. That said, we do not yet have the optimal experience nor functionality built, so it is currently a beta feature from a user experience perspective.  

So, what will change?

1. Issue create: We are looking to have the default request type selection be respected in the issue create experience within Jira. This is not available now but will be available later. 
  2. Better UX: We will eventually move this out of the Feature Lab and provide an improved UX but this will provide an immediate solution to those that need this.

I'd love to know what you think about this new feature. We'd love to hear your thoughts, whether positive feedback or constructive criticism.

You can comment on this post or leave us feedback in product (see the "Give feedback" icon on the bottom left of the image above). We read every single piece of feedback you leave and do use it to inform out decision making, so please don't hold back. 

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Jehan Gonsalkorale

Product Manager, Jira Service Management Cloud

13 comments

WasimBuden August 24, 2022

Hello Jehan,

I enabled this feature and tested it by creating a ticket and moving the issue types, works great and this was much needed, thank you!

Regards,

Wasim

Like # people like this
Nuwanee Nadeesha August 25, 2022

Hello Jehan,

This was a much needed feature. 

Thank you..! 

Nuwanee.

Like # people like this
Jehan Gonsalkorale
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 25, 2022

Hi @Wasi and @Nuwanee Nadeesha , we really appreciate your feedback! The kind words are appreciated. We still want to improve this functionality in future, but this is an important first step. 

Best regards,

Jehan

Like # people like this
WasimBuden August 25, 2022

True, keep them coming, cant wait to see Atlassian Analytics and other feature sooner.

Like Jehan Gonsalkorale likes this
Cameron Loperfido August 25, 2022

Jehan, thank you and your team for this update!

I raised an issue about changing issue types using the move functionality and the loss of request type breaking issue configs last week. I spent too much time trying to accomplish a fix using automation and boom your post shows up in my feed.

Keep up the good work!

Peter August 26, 2022

Apologies, I comment after reading the text in the email update and didn't read the screenshots that were not shown by default.  The description

"If you turn on this feature, whenever an issue is moved (or any other action is taken that causes the request type to be lost), the request type field is updated so that it is not null. 

By default, it will select the first request type alphabetically. But you can override the default by setting the request type yourself. "

doesn't make it clear that there is a default request type per issue type, which is crucial. From the screenshot, I gather that a default request type can be set per issue type.

While it would still be better to actually give people the opportunity to set request types in any situation where it's needed (I don't understand why this hasn't been part of the product from the beginning), such as moving an issue, this is at least a helpful midway point.

Stephan Stahl September 1, 2022

YES - finally!!
Please also bring this feature to DC! I'm desperately waiting for it! It's such a pain to create the workaround (or should I say: Atlassian best practice?) with either JSM builtin automation or A4J to create a "fallback"/default request type, especially if you have a lot of issue types and a lot of projects. (Especially since there is no "customer request type scheme" you could reuse. Each project requires individual "fallback-mapping", since each customer request type is unique, even if it's (in theory) the same across several projects...)

Thank you for considering this feature request!

Tom De Blende September 2, 2022

There is a God!

Now on to CLOUD-6999!

Like # people like this
Wolff September 2, 2022

Where can i find this feature for Company Managed - Service Project? 

david.poulin September 7, 2022

This feature can be great for issue creation also......yes we can do it with automation, but having builtin should be great too

Like Boris likes this
Scott King September 13, 2022

This is a much needed feature. It was very cumbersome to have to use automation to create this functionality. In one of our projects, we use and switch between issue types a lot and losing the request type every time was a pain so I had to set up via automation. I will be using this feature in it's place.

Patricia Francezi
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2022

Good one, but still when you have a different workflow, it starts a "move" operation. 

It would be great have the same behavior from the Issue type icon itself when you have the same workflow.

I know that there is a migration in this path, but, the current problem is, when you select the new issue type in the issue, then go to the move wizard screen you need to select again (project and issue type).

mitch.bagan October 23, 2022

Nice one! This saves a lot of manual effort and customer complaints when they cant see tickets.

Can you implement this in a schema or similar so we dont need to do it to each project and can implement for all issue types in the schema across all projects?

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events