Bulk Operations for Jira Service Management

jira-service-management.png

If you’ve been wondering, how to perform multiple creations of JSM organization or how do you import a specific set of customers into a specific Jira service management project (JSM project). Look no further as of today, I will be discussing how all these can be done with the Bulkops app for Jira. Previously, I have gotten different requests in the past from multiple users of the app related to JSM features and if such will be considered. Almost a month ago, I decided why not add those features! So I started a project specifically to tackle the below features with Jira Service Management.

• Bulk creation of JSM organizations.

• Bulk deletion of JSM organizations.

• Bulk addition of JSM organizations to a service desk.

• Bulk removal of JSM organizations from a service desk.

• Bulk addition of customers into JSM organization.

• Bulk removal of customers from JSM organization.

• Bulk addition of customers to specific JSM projects e.g. ITSM or SD

• Bulk removal of customers from specific JSM projects e.g. ITSM or SD

The goal was to add the above JSM specific features to the BulkOps app for Jira. That way, anyone can be able to perform any migration task between cloud instances or migrate directly from server or datacenter to Atlassian cloud. That’s right, there are 8 different new features that can be performed, coupled with the previous features, the app now has a dozen features for user and group management on Atlassian cloud. Not only for Jira but includes Jira Service Management as well.

I’m going to elaborate on the features which I think it’s crucial if you’re performing any bulk operation task. This article will focus on bulk-adding customers to JSM projects or organizations and bulk adding organizations to JSM projects.

Adding customers to JSM organizations

To perform this operation, you will need to prepare your data file in the below format. It is crucial that your CSV file is structured in the below manner having 3 columns, so the app can be able to perform the bulk operation. The name part isn’t used but it helps to nicely represent your users during the file formulation. Use this delimiter ~> for adding customers to multiple organizations at the same time.

customer_organization.png

Simply upload the above file with its data content to have the users added to the specific organizations. Please note that organizations are case sensitive, so ensure that you’re using the right name at all times. Prior to submission ensure you set the “Customer selection” to “JSM Organization”.

Adding customers to Jira service management project

A similar data structure as above is required to add customer users to any JSM project. A 3 column CSV file is required with the below structure.

customer_project.png

Once your file above is prepared, simply upload the file and set the option for customer selection to “JSM Project” prior to submission. Use this delimiter ~> for adding customers to multiple projects.

Doing the above will update the records of your customers on your cloud instance. Please note when adding customers to organizations, sometimes it can take up to a minute for some of the users to sync properly. Performing a removal of customers from organizations or projects uses the same type of file format as above. So if you want to remove those customers, please use the same file structure.

Adding organizations to Jira service management projects

Performing bulk addition of organizations to specific Jira service management projects involves you knowing the exact string for the organization and listing out the project keys that you need those organizations added to. Create a CSV file having only two columns as shown below. Use this delimiter ~> for adding organizations to multiple projects.

organization_project.png

Once you’re done with your file formulation, simply upload the file and the organizations will be added to those projects. Similar action should be taken when you want to remove organizations from projects.

The other aspects of the JSM features are pretty straightforward, simply navigate to the in-app menu and perform the bulk operation that you need. Please do not use any other file structure other than the above, if, in doubt, there’s a help menu you can always refer to and get an understanding of what to upload. The app uses an ephemeral file system which means anything you upload gets discarded after it has been processed. Oh, I forgot to mention that all these features are 100% free for you to use as much as you like.

3 comments

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 23, 2021

@Prince Nyeche ,

thanks for sharing. This looks quite interesting indeed. I’m looking forward to giving it a go.

Like Prince Nyeche likes this
Kristin Lyons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2021

So you could theoretically do this with multiple JSM projects in one instance?  That could be super handy

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 31, 2021

Exactly. Give a try to see how it all works.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events