Assign a new ticket to a specific agent based on values choose in the issue fields

This workaround is meant to help projects where it is necessary to assign a new issue/request directly to a specific agent to better organize the queue management.

For a such scenario, I used ProForma with Automation For Jira(A4J). Also, I used as an example a form related to an IT - Change request, where the customer will select in a radio buttons fields the option of IT change. For which option chose the new request will auto-assign to a specific agent. This method can be used for other purposes (eg. issues with approvers).

Important related documentation:

Building Forms in ProForma
Working with Service Projects
Working with Software & Business Projects
ProForma & A4J
How AFJ works
Smart values
Advanced field editing - JSON

Workaround steps:

• Form settings:
    • It will be necessary to link the form fields that you would like to attribute to the assignee agent (this is necessary for the A4J to be able to get the answers from the fields):Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 15.56.24.png
    • Besides the option of attributing an issue/request to a form, it will also be necessary to not lock the form on issue creation (this is important for having communication between ProForma and the A4J):Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 16.03.41.png

• A4J settings:
    • The best way to trigger this automation rule is by an 'Issue created' action, for another one it may not work as expected. Also, note how much of "Re-fetch issue data" was used on this rule:Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 16.14.30.png
      Note: Because ProForma updates the issue and linked fields with a milliseconds delay after the issue is created, when more information a form has, more "Re-fetch issue data" actions will be necessary to add so that this delay is rewarded and the automation rule can get the form values.
    • Using Smart Values it’s possible to get the information selected by a customer in a field. The magician trick here is using the ProForma proprieties in JSON to get the form information and translate it to the A4J, as I will show below:

- Form JSON:
      Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 10.18.42.png

- A4J Log Action showing how it will read forms properties:Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 10.20.01.png
      Note: To find the custom field ID please take a look at this documentation. Also, to get the ProForma proprieties you can access it using this URL below: 

https://<atlassianCloudAddress>/rest/api/2/issue/<issue-key>/properties/proforma.forms

• Now that you already know how A4J will read the form option chosen, in this example the choice ID "10012" from the "customfield_10007". You can use an Advanced compare condition to create an If/Else case, as I show below:Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 10.22.40.pngScreen Shot 2021-11-15 at 10.26.12.png

• This workaround will work as shown in the screen recording below:

6 comments

Florian PEREZ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 16, 2021

Wow that will be very usefull for sure !  I'll save this for future use ! 

Thanks ! 

Rick Toffoli November 16, 2021

this is great!!

Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2021

@Bruno Altenhofen , thanks for sharing!

Like Bruno Altenhofen likes this
Cissa Tarasconi November 17, 2021

That is amazing! 

Charles Trilha
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2022

Amazing!

Paul Krueger
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2022

If you want to avoid the repetitive re-fetching of data, you can have the form populate a specific hidden field when the form is submitted. Then, instead of using the Issue Created trigger, you can use the Field value changed trigger. I pair that with a JQL match of "created > -2m" just to make sure we're dealing with a new issue.

I've never seen that process fail to access form values.

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events